Here you can find interesting sights in Eisenach, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 11 sights are available in Eisenach, Germany.Back to the list of cities in Germany
The Wartburg is a castle originally built in the Middle Ages. It is situated on a precipice of 410 meters (1,350 ft) to the southwest of and overlooking the town of Eisenach, in the state of Thuringia, Germany. In 1999, UNESCO added Wartburg Castle to the World Heritage List. It was the home of St. Elisabeth of Hungary, the place where Martin Luther translated the New Testament of the Bible into German, the site of the Wartburg festival of 1817 and the supposed setting for the possibly legendary Sängerkrieg. It was an important inspiration for Ludwig II when he decided to build Neuschwanstein Castle. Wartburg is the most-visited tourist attraction in Thuringia after Weimar. Although the castle today still contains substantial original structures from the 12th through 15th centuries, much of the interior dates back only to the 19th century.
The Georgenkirche is the city and main church of Eisenach, centrally located in the southern area of the market. Martin Luther preached here during the Reformation, making it one of the oldest Protestant places of worship ever. Johann Sebastian Bach was baptized in it. It served temporarily as a court church and was the episcopal church of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Thuringia until the merger of the Protestant church provinces of Saxony and Thuringia into the Evangelical Church in Central Germany on 1 January 2009.
3. Bachhaus Eisenach
The Bach House in Eisenach, Thuringia, Germany, is a museum dedicated to the composer Johann Sebastian Bach who was born in the city. On its 600 m2 it displays around 250 original exhibits, among them a Bach music autograph. The core of the building complex is a half-timbered house, ca. 550 years old, which was mistakenly identified as Bach's birth house in the middle of the 19th century. In 1905, the Leipzig-based Neue Bachgesellschaft acquired the building. In 1907, it was opened as the first Bach museum.
Wingolfsdenkmal, located in Pfarrberg in the heart of Eisenach, is a central place to commemorate the fallen soldiers of Wingolfsbund, the oldest umbrella organization of the Christian Student Union. It was originally built in memory of brothers killed in the Franco-Prussian War of 1870/71, and now it also honors the victims of two world wars. In 2003, the monument, including stairs, was completely renovated.
5. Stadtschloss Eisenach
The Eisenach city palace is a castle on the north side of the city of Eisenach in Thuringia. It was a residence of the Dukes of Saxony-Eisenach and later a residence of the Grand Derelus of Saxony-Weimar-Eisenach. Today, offices of the city administration (Kulturamt), the Eisenach City Archives and the Thuringian Museum have been housed since 1931.
Eisenach's Doctors Monument was built in 1926 to commemorate German doctors who died in the First World War. In 1997, it was designed to mark its 100th anniversary. At the German Doctors Conference in Eisenach, the German medical community dedicated it to "all doctors who have become victims of war, terror and tyranny because of their profession".
7. St. Georg-Brunnen
The Georgsbrunnen-also "Gülden-Mannsbrunnen"-is a running fountain built in 1549 in the Wartburgstadt Eisenach in Thuringia and the monument to city history. It is reminiscent of the city saint of Sankt Georg and was also a symbol of urban market jurisdiction in the late Middle Ages.
8. St. Elisabeth
The Luther monument in Eisenach on Karlsplatz was inaugurated in 1895. The monument honors the reformer Martin Luther, who was near Eisenach from 1521 to 1522. It was created by the sculptor Adolf of Donndorf.
10. Villa Pflugensberg
The Villa auf dem Pflugensberg is a listed villa in the center of the city of Eisenach in Thuringia. Until 2008 it was the seat of the regional church office of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Thuringia.
11. Schwarzer Brunnen
Schwarze Brunnen in Eisenach, the town of Wartburg, is a walking fountain built in 1817 and is a monument to the town's history. It commemorates the gunpowder explosion here on the night of January 1st.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.