Explore interesting sights in Dortmund, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 59 sights are available in Dortmund, Germany.Sightseeing Tours in Dortmund
1. Gedenkstein für die Kolonie Kirdorf
The Kirdorf Colony – also known as the Kirdorf Settlement and Gitschiner Straße Settlement – is a mining settlement in the Dortmund district of Eving. It was built by the Gelsenkirchener Bergwerks-AG (GBAG) in 1912–13 in the style of a garden city for workers and employees of the Minister Stein colliery and named after its general manager Emil Kirdorf. In 1935, an architecturally adapted extension was made to the western area. Today, the estate consists of 119 apartments in 70 detached and semi-detached houses as well as 89 apartments in two-storey, undivided apartment buildings, which were built to replace settlement houses destroyed during the war. The overall impression of the settlement has been protected by a preservation statute since 2004. Since 2002, the owner Viterra Wohnen, now Vonovia, has privatized the detached and semi-detached houses to the tenants.
Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke was a Prussian field marshal. The chief of staff of the Prussian Army for thirty years, he is regarded as the creator of a new, more modern method of directing armies in the field and one of the finest military minds of his generation. He commanded troops in Europe and the Middle East, in the Second Schleswig War, Austro-Prussian War and Franco-Prussian War. He is described as embodying "Prussian military organization and tactical genius". He was fascinated with railways and pioneered their military use. He is often referred to as Moltke the Elder to distinguish him from his nephew Helmuth von Moltke the Younger, who commanded the German Army at the outbreak of the First World War.
3. Sankt Reinoldi-Kirche
The Lutheran Protestant Church of St. Reinold is, according to its foundation date, the oldest extant church in Dortmund, Germany; it is dedicated to Reinold, also known as Renaud de Montauban, the patron of the city. The church was built as a palatine church in the Ottonian era. The present building is a late Romanesque church with a late gothic quire. St. Reinold's was built from 1250 to 1270, and is located in the centre of the city, directly at the crossing of the Hellweg and the historic road from Cologne to Bremen. St. Reinoldi's congregation is a member of the Evangelical Church of Westphalia, an umbrella comprising Lutheran, Reformed and united Protestant congregations.
4. Ehemaliges Gesundheitsamt
The Dortmund Health House as the seat of the Health Department of the City of Dortmund at Hövelstraße 8 in the City district is one of the few buildings of post -war modernism in Germany, which has been largely preserved in the state. It was designed by Will Schwarz and built between 1958 and 1961. In many details of the architecture, it has the formal language of the 1950s afterwards and is therefore one of the significant buildings of the architecture of the West German post -war period. It is a monument protection as a monument and was entered in 1993 in the monument list of the city of Dortmund under No. A 571.
The Konzerthaus Dortmund in Dortmund's city centre was opened in September 2002. It is located in the Brückstraße district at the intersection of Brückstraße and Ludwigstraße. The hall has 1550 seats, 900 of which can be used as a small hall, and is characterized by a modern steel-and-glass architecture. The founding artistic director and one of the main initiators of the "Project Konzerthaus" was Ulrich Andreas Vogt. From 2005 to 2018, Benedikt Stampa was artistic director and managing director. For the 2018/19 season, he was succeeded by Raphael von Hoensbroech.
6. Femlinde mit Freistuhl
The Vehmic courts, Vehmgericht, holy vehme, or simply Vehm, also spelt Feme, Vehmegericht, Fehmgericht, are names given to a tribunal system of Westphalia in Germany active during the later Middle Ages, based on a fraternal organisation of lay judges called "free judges". The original seat of the courts was in Dortmund. Proceedings were sometimes secret, leading to the alternative titles of "secret courts", "silent courts", or "forbidden courts". After the execution of a death sentence, the corpse could be hanged on a tree to advertise the fact and deter others.
The Sigiburg was a Saxon hillfort in Western Germany, overlooking the River Ruhr near its confluence with the River Lenne. The ruins of the later Hohensyburg castle now stand on the site, which is in Syburg, a neighbourhood in the Hörde district of Dortmund. Archaeological evidence suggests the site was occupied in the Neolithic era. The hillfort was raised ca. 700 by Westphalian Saxons. During the Saxon Wars, it was taken by the Franks under Charlemagne in 772, retaken by the Saxons in 774, and taken again and refortified by Charlemagne in 775.
8. Sankt Johann Baptist
The Evangelical St. Johann Baptist Church is the center of the Brechten village in the Eving district of Eving. Around 1250 the church was built as a three -aisy, two -yochige hall on an almost square floor plan with a rectangular choir. The west tower is probably older. The sacristy was built around 1500. During the restoration of the interior in 1960/1962, extensive paintings from the creation period of the church were uncovered and restored. The baptismal font dates from the 13th century, pulpit and altar are from the 17th century.
9. Bezirksverwaltungsstelle Aplerbeck
The Aplerbecker Amtshaus is located directly on the market square in Aplerbeck. It was built from 1906 to 1907 according to the plans of master builder Wilhelm Stricker for the Amt of Aplerbeck, replacing a predecessor building built in 1851. The person of the master builder Stricker is still commemorated today by a commemorative plaque on the wall of the Amtshaus. A street in Aplerbeck, Strickerstraße, was named after him. In the list of listed buildings in the Aplerbeck district, the building is registered under the number A 0424.
10. Theater Olpketal
The Theater Olpketal is a small, family-run theater on Olpketalstraße in the southern Dortmund district of Lücklemberg, where the Dortmund cabaret artist Bruno Knust usually performs several times a week with various programs. His shows are characterized by the special humor of the Ruhr area, his quick-wittedness and entertainer qualities. In addition, the Theater Olpketal regularly offers guest performances by selected artists, such as Robert Kreis, Lioba Albus, Karl Dall, Wolfgang Trepper, Jürgen Becker and Torsten Sträter.
11. Naturmuseum Dortmund
The Dortmund Natural History Museum is a municipal natural history museum. It represents the fields of zoology, botany, geology, palaeontology and mineralogy in collections, exhibitions and educational programmes. The collections include about 250,000 objects, including 150,000 insects and 70,000 minerals, rocks and fossils. The focus of the museum's work is on education and mediation. Until mid-2020, the Dortmund Natural History Museum operated under the name "Museum of Natural History of the City of Dortmund".
12. Gedenktafel für Maximilian Kolbe
Maximilian Maria Kolbe was a Polish Catholic priest and Conventual Franciscan friar who volunteered to die in place of a man named Franciszek Gajowniczek in the German death camp of Auschwitz, located in German-occupied Poland during World War II. He had been active in promoting the veneration of the Immaculate Virgin Mary, founding and supervising the monastery of Niepokalanów near Warsaw, operating an amateur-radio station (SP3RN), and founding or running several other organizations and publications.
Gerhard Johann David von Scharnhorst was a Hanoverian-born general in Prussian service from 1801. As the first Chief of the Prussian General Staff, he was noted for his military theories, his reforms of the Prussian army, and his leadership during the Napoleonic Wars. Scharnhorst limited the use of corporal punishments, established promotion for merit, abolished the enrollment of foreigners, began the organization of a reserve army, and organized and simplified the military administration.
14. Gedenkstein Carl Kneebusch
Karl Kneebusch was a German teacher and author of hiking literature about the Sauerland. His “Sauerlandführer” was written in 1884 and continued by Hermann Grohjohann and Hugo Kracht from 1907 and was last experienced a total of 34 editions under the title “Führer durch den Sauerland, Siegerland, Wittgensteiner Land, Bergische und Oberbergische Land, Waldeck and the Region of the Lower Ruhr” until 1974 and was printed more than 215,000 times.
The Hansakontor Dortmund is an office building in the heart of Dortmund's city centre. As a former administration building of Ruhrkohle AG, it is now home to various younger and established companies from the region. The Hansakontor is directly connected to two roads. On the one hand, it has the old entrance to Silberstraße, and on the other hand, a new entrance to Hansastraße has been created, which leads directly through the listed gardens.
The Roman Catholic Holy Trinity Church in Dortmund's Nordstadt district is located near Borsigplatz at Flurstraße 10. The community is one of the Roman Catholic parishes founded in the context of industrialization on the periphery of Dortmund's city center. The Roman Catholic workers who had immigrated to work in the coal and steel industry were to find a religiously influenced home in Protestant Dortmund in these communities.
17. Gedenkstein für Mehmet Kubaşık
Mehmet Kubaşık was a German retailer of Turkish origin and Kurdish descent. It was shot by members of the right-wing extremist terrorist group National Socialist underground (NSU) and was the eighth fatalities of their NSU murder series. Until the self -suffering of the NSU in November 2011, the investigative authorities misplaced Kubaşık himself criminal machinations and his family of participation in the crime.
The field railway bridge near the Aplerbeck district of Dortmund is a listed arch bridge, which is listed in bricks. It represents the last surviving relic of the Schürbank & Charlottenburg to the Dortmund - Soest railway line, which was built from 1867 to 1870. almost formed an S-shape. Coming from the colliery, the Feldchenbahnbrücke bridges after a good 700 meters that still very young Emscher at this point.
19. Ehrenstatue Kaiser Wilhelm I.
William I or Wilhelm I was King of Prussia from 2 January 1861 and German Emperor from 18 January 1871 until his death in 1888. A member of the House of Hohenzollern, he was the first head of state of a united Germany. He was de facto head of state of Prussia from 1858, when he became regent for his brother Frederick William IV. During the reign of his grandson Wilhelm II, he was known as Wilhelm the Great.
The Westfalenpark is a large public park in Dortmund, Germany. With an area of 70 ha, the park is one of the largest inner-city parks in Europe and is a popular destination for excursions and recreation in North Rhine-Westphalia. The park is situated between the Westfalenstadion, Westfalenhallen, Bundesautobahn 40 and includes the Florianturm. The Emscher valley forms the southern border of the park.
The Paul-Gerhardt Church is an Evangelical Church in the Dortmund district of downtown-Ost. Between 1948 and 1949 it was built as an emergency church according to a draft by Otto Bartning and has been listed since 2011. The namesake is the church song poet Paul Gerhardt. The Evangelical Paul Gerhardt church community, which belongs to the church, is part of the Evangelical Church of Westphalia.
22. Propsteikirche St. Johannes Baptist
Propsteikirche is the common name of a church in Dortmund, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany, the only Catholic church in the city centre. The full name is Propsteikirche St. Johannes Baptist Dortmund. It was built from 1331 as the abbey church of a Dominican monastery. Consecrated in 1458, it features a late-Gothic high altar by Derick Baegert which shows the oldest depiction of Dortmund.
St. Peter's Church in Dortmund, Westphalia, Germany, is an urban hall church in the High Gothic style. The central nave and side aisles are of the same height, coming close to the ideal type of this church form. The building is almost square in plan with a comparatively short chancel. The sacred building is an important example of the special shape of the hall churches in Westphalia.
24. Altes Hafenamt
The Old Harbour Authority Dortmund was built in 1898 in the Neo-Renaissance style in the newly founded Port of Dortmund according to plans by the architect and city building inspector Friedrich Kullrich. The building was used as a port administration until 1962. From 1982 to 1987 it was extensively restored and is now one of the few public houses in Dortmund from the Wilhelmine era.
25. Stadion Rote Erde
Stadion Rote Erde is a 25,000 capacity football and athletics stadium in Dortmund, North Rhine-Westphalia. It serves as the home stadium to Borussia Dortmund II and several athletic clubs. The stadium was built in between 1924 and 1926 at a cost of 1.8 million German Mark. The stadium was inaugurated in 1926, with a match between the City of Dortmund and FC Wacker München (1-11).
26. Gedenktafel für das Alte Rathaus
The Old Town Hall in Dortmund was a Romanesque building at its core and, until its final demolition in 1955, the oldest stone town hall in the German-speaking world north of the Alps. It was located on the south side of the Old Market Square in the centre of the former imperial city and formed an architectural ensemble with the writing office adjoining it to the east.
St. Ewaldi Aplerbeck is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Aperbeck district of Dortmund. The parish of St. Ewaldi Aplerbeck belongs to the total parish of the same name St. Ewaldi Dortmund in the Archdiocese of Paderborn. Church cartridges are the Ewaldi brothers, who are said to have died here in Aplerbeck as martyr in the late 7th century.
28. Opernhaus Dortmund
Opernhaus Dortmund is the opera house of Dortmund, Germany, operated by the Theater Dortmund organisation. A new opera house opened in 1966, replacing an earlier facility which opened in 1904 and was destroyed during World War I. It was built on the former site of the Old Synagogue, which was demolished by the Nazi local government in the 1930s.
The St. Paulus Church is located in the Dortmunder Nordstadt, on the corner of Schützenstraße and Kirchenstraße. It was built in 1892 to 1894, according to a design by Berlin architect Karl Doflein. The building was severely damaged during World War II, repaired after 1945 and restored in 1994. It is a monument in the city of Dortmund.
30. Standesamt Dortmund
Altes Stadthaus in Dortmund, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany, is an office block which was built in 1899, and was designed by "master builder" Friedrich Kullrich. It was built in the Renaissance Revival architecture (Neo-Renaissance) style. After the office block was severely damaged in World War II, it was rebuilt in a simplified form.
31. Maschinenhaus der ehem. Zeche Glückaufsegen Schacht 3
The Glückaufsegen colliery is a former coal mine in the Dortmund districts of Wellinghofen and Brünninghausen. The colliery was also known as the Glückauf Seegen colliery, the Glückauf Segen colliery and the Glückaufs Seegen colliery. The mine belonged to the Märkisches Bergamtsbezirk and there to the Brüninghausen jury district.
32. St. Anna
The Roman Catholic, listed former parish church of St. Anna stands in the city district of downtown-West from Dortmund in North Rhine-Westphalia. The church, which belongs to the Dean's Office Dortmund of the Archdiocese of Paderborn, was handed over to the Polish Catholic Mission Dortmund in 2003 and the parish in 2013 was dissolved.
33. Hörder Burg
The Hörder Burg, also called Hörde, in today's Dortmund district of Hörde was built as a water castle in the immediate vicinity of the Emscher in the 12th century. It is the headquarters of the Hörde nobility family. Not far from the castle was an economically significant grain mill at the confluence of Emscher and Hörder Bach.
34. St. Patrokli
St. Patrokli is a Roman Catholic parish church in Dortmund, Kirchhörde, North Rhine-Westphalia. She is the parish church of St. The parish of St. Clemens Hombruch, St. Francis Xaverius Barop, Maria Queen Eichlinghofen and the Holy Family Brünninghausen, forms the Pastoral Space Pastoral Association in Dortmund South.
The Tremoniapark in Dortmund, also known as the Tremoniawiese, is a green and recreational area on an old industrial site and a typical example of structural change in the city. In the park, there are half-shell bobbin lace floors as an art installation, which were components of pressure vessels.
36. Hoesch Museum
The Hoesch Museum is a museum in Dortmund, Germany, which reopened in 2005. Housed in the historic porter's house of the Westfalenhütte, the museum shows an overview of 160 years of company history, technical history and social history of steelwork, combined with the history of Dortmund.
37. DOC - Dortmunder Centrum für Medizin und Gesundheit
The Deilmann Building in Dortmund is an office and commercial building near the main railway station built between 1975 and 1978 for WestLB. As with similar buildings at WestLB AG's headquarters in Düsseldorf, Cologne and Münster, the design was created by architect Harald Deilmann.
Westfalenhallen is a commercial complex composed of conference and exhibition centers with an indoor arena (Westfalenhalle), located in Dortmund, Germany. It is surrounded by the Eissportzentrum Westfalenhallen, Stadion Rote Erde, Westfalenstadion and Helmut-Körnig-Halle.
39. Große Kirche
The Große Kirche Aplerbeck is a Protestant church in Aplerbeck, now part of Dortmund, Germany. It was built from 1867 to 1869 in Gothic Revival style, designed by Christian Heyden. A listed monument, it is used by the parish St. Georg, serving mostly as a concert church.
40. St. Barbara
St. Barbara Eving is a Roman Catholic parish church in Dortmund-Eving. It is subordinate to the Barbara patronal feast of Nicomedia, which is considered the protective patron of the miners. The church is entered as a monument in the monument list of the city of Dortmund.
41. Phoenix des Lumières
Warsteiner Music Hall is a former industrial hall on the site of the former Phoenix-West steelworks in the Hörde district of Dortmund. The hall was initially built in 1905 as a gas blower hall for the blast furnaces of the steel mill and is now used as a concert hall.
42. Sankt Urbanus
The Roman Catholic parish church of St. Urbanus is located in Huckarde, a part of the Huckarde district of Dortmund, a city in North Rhine-Westphalia. The church belongs to the pastoral association Am Revierpark in the deanery of Dortmund of the Archdiocese of Paderborn.
43. St. Clemens
The Roman Catholic Church of St. Clemens is located in the Hombruch district of Dortmund. It is the parish church of the parish of the same name St. Clemens in the pastoral area "Pastoral network in the south of Dortmund". Sier wears the Patrozinium Clemens from Rome.
The St. Nicolai Church, often referred to as Nicolai Church for short, is a church built in 1929 in Dortmund's Innenstadt-West district, Germany. A church of the same name existed until 1812 on Wißstraße and was one of the four main churches of medieval Dortmund.
45. Sankt Peter Syburg
St. Peter is a Romanesque church in Syburg, now a suburb of Dortmund, Germany. It is the active Protestant parish church of Syburg, officially named "Ev. Kirche St. Peter zu Dortmund-Syburg". It serves as a concert venue for the bimonthly Syburger Sonntagsmusiken.
46. Julius Schanzer
The list of stumbling stones in Dortmund contains stumbling stones that were moved in Dortmund as part of the art project of the same name by Gunter Demnig. They are intended to be used to think of victims of National Socialism, who lived and worked in Dortmund.
The Roman Catholic parish church of St. Barbara is located in the Dorstfeld district of Dortmund in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. The church, under the patronage of Barbara of Nicomedia, was built between 1895 and 1896 by master builder Lambert von Fisenne.
48. St. Johannes der Täufer
The listed Protestant Church of St. John the Baptist is located in Brackel, a district of the Brackel district of the independent city of Dortmund in North Rhine-Westphalia. It belongs to the Dortmund church district of the Evangelical Church of Westphalia.
The Löwenhof is a building in downtown Dortmund. In the course of his history, he housed one of the largest concert café in West Germany, was the headquarters of Heinrich August Schulte Eisenhandlung and is now the seat of the Volkshochschule Dortmund.
51. Wasserturm Dortmund Südbahnhof
The water tower of the Dortmund Südbahnhof is a water high container of the former Dortmund Süd railway depot. It was built by the Deutsche Reichsbahn between 1923 and 1927 and supplied steam locomotives with boiler dining water until the 1950s.
52. Haus Bodelschwingh
The Syberg is a hill in the Ruhr in the southern part of Dortmund, 240 m above sea level (NN), which is part of the Ardey Hills. The Syberg is home to the Sigiburg, the Vincke Tower, a monument to Emperor William I and other points of interest.
54. Wasserschloss Haus Rodenberg
Haus Rodenberg is a moated castle in the Aplerbeck district of Dortmund, Germany. The castle fell into disrepair in the 19th and 20th centuries. All that remained of the former moated castle was the outer bailey with the economic section.
55. Langer August
58. Haus Husen
Haus Husen is a manor house on the right bank of the Ruhr in the district of Hörde, Dortmund, Germany. It was built in 1830 in the style of classicism. It is now owned by the Evangelical Church of Westphalia.
59. Dortmunder U – Zentrum für Kunst und Kreativität
The U-Tower or Dortmunder U is a former brewery building in the city of Dortmund, Germany. Since 2010 it has served as a centre for the arts and creativity, housing among other facilities the Museum Ostwall.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.