Explore interesting sights in Cuxhaven, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 13 sights are available in Cuxhaven, Germany.Sightseeing Tours in Cuxhaven
The Kugelbake is a historic day beacon in the city of Cuxhaven, Germany, at the northernmost point of Lower Saxony, where the River Elbe flows into the North Sea. In the Low German dialect of the Middle Ages, the term bake referred to all navigational aids – including lighthouses. About 30 meters (100 feet) high and built of wood, the Kugelbake is the principal landmark of Cuxhaven; since 1913, it has been depicted on the city's coat of arms. Large wooden structures guiding mariners have stood on this spot for over 300 years.
2. St. Nicolai
The St. Nicolai church in Cuxhaven's Altenbruch district belongs to the Evangelical Lutheran church and is one of the farmers' domes in the country of Hadeln. It stands on a flat land rise, a Wurth, so that it remained in dry conditions mostly and offered refuge to the surrounding people. This land raise was enclosed by a ditch. The present meadow around the church was in former times the church yard. The recovered burial plates are preserved and displayed in the church from weathering.
3. Fort Kugelbake
Fort Kugelbake is a former naval fortress in Cuxhaven, in the current spa district of Döse. It is located on the last peak at the river Elbe mouth behind the sea dike near the name-giving sea sign, the ball beacon. The fort was built between 1869 and 1879 in a strategically favourable position at the mouth of the river to block the entrance to the Elbe with its 14 coastal guns. Today it is the last preserved artillery site of the Navy on the German North Sea coast.
4. Windstärke 10
Wind 10 – Wreck and Fisheries Museum Cuxhaven is a museum in Cuxhaven, Germany. It shows the challenges and dangers of maritime transport in two former fish processing halls and a new building connecting these two halls on a total area of approximately 4000 m², in particular part of the collections of the former wreck museum and an overview of over 100 years of fishing history.
5. Hamburger Leuchtturm
The Hamburg lighthouse is a lighthouse in Cuxhaven, which was built between 1802 and 1804 by the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg, to which the area belonged at the time. The lighthouse in the old love is one of the symbols of the city and was in operation until 2001. It is under Lower Saxony Monument Protection and is included in the list of monuments in Cuxhaven.
6. St. Marien
The St. Marien Church in Cuxhaven is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Dean's Office in Bremerhaven in the diocese of Hildesheim. The following branch churches are subordinate to her today: Heart Jesus' branch church Hauskapelle St. Pius in the house of Stella Maris in the Sahlenburg district Branch church twelve apostles in the Altenwalde district
7. Schloss Ritzebüttel
The Ritzebüttel Castle in Cuxhaven was the residence of the Hamburg office men during the time of belonging to Ritzenbüttel in Hamburg. The castle, some of which still dates from the 14th century, is one of the oldest preserved profaused buildings of the North German brick Gothic in the region and is now accessible to visitors.
8. Alte Liebe
The Alte Liebe is a former pier in the harbour of Cuxhaven, which now serves as a viewing platform. It is located on the upstream boundary of the port of Cuxhaven to the fairway of the Lower Elbe. The ships to Neuwerk and Helgoland as well as to the sandbanks with the seals depart into the harbour near the platform.
The wind semaphor on the old love in Cuxhaven is a facility for the optical transmission of weather information to ships that drive from the mouth of the Elbe towards the North Sea. It indicates wind speed and direction on the islands of Borkum and Helgoland with hands and signal arms.
The Church of Jesus is a Catholic Church in Cuxhaven, a district town in Lower Saxony. It belongs to the Cuxhaven parish of St. Marien in the Dean's Office in Bremerhaven. The church located in Strichweg 5b is the northernmost church in the diocese of Hildesheim.
11. St. Jacobi Bauerndom
The church of St. Jacobi is one of the three peasant cathedrals in the Hadelner Land. It is located on the Große Würth in the village of Lüdingworth, which was incorporated into Cuxhaven in 1972. It is the most magnificently decorated of the three churches.
12. St. Abundus
The Church of St. Abundus in Cuxhaven-Groden, at the Groden Church 3/4, is under Lower Saxony Monument Protection and is included in the list of the monuments of the outdoor districts of the city of Cuxhaven.
13. Altenbruch Leuchtturm Dicke Berta
The Fat Berta is a beacon in Cuxhaven-Altenbruch. The listed lighthouse at the mouth of the Elbe was in operation as an underfire from 1897 to 1983; the associated Slender Anna overfire no longer exists.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.