Explore interesting sights in Bayreuth, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 17 sights are available in Bayreuth, Germany.Sightseeing Tours in Bayreuth
Iwalewahaus, University of Bayreuth, is a place for the production and presentation of contemporary art. By doing exhibitions, academic research and teaching, by taking care of the collection and the archive as well as providing residencies for artists, recent developments in contemporary African and Diaspora culture are presented and refined together with artists and institutions. The mission of Iwalewahaus is to research, document and teach recent African culture. The focus is on visual arts, everyday culture, the media and music. The house provides space for lectures, conferences, concerts, film screenings and readings and is a vivid forum for artists, researchers, students of African studies and the interested public.
2. Ordenskirche St. Georgen
The Ordenskirche St. Georgen or Sophienkirche is a church in the Sankt Georgen suburb of Bayreuth, a suburb which had been founded by George William, Margrave of Brandenburg-Bayreuth as hereditary prince of the Principality of Bayreuth. The church's foundation stone was laid in 1705. Stone was supplied from twenty nearby and distant quarries and in 1709 the church's outer shell was completed. As George William had hoped, the church was consecrated on the feast day of his name-saint George, 23 April 1711, though some work had to be carried out after consecration.
The Schlosskirche Bayreuth in the building ensemble of the Old Palace in Bayreuth is a hall church in the style of the Bayreuth Rococo. It was built from 1753 to 1758 by order of the margrave couple Wilhelmine and Frederick III as a Lutheran castle and burial church. The plans were drawn up by court architect Joseph Saint-Pierre, the ornate ceiling stucco work by Giovanni Battista Pedrozzi. Since 1813, the castle church has been a Catholic parish church with the patronage of Our Lady.
The New Palace is one of the two palaces in the historic Hermitage Park east of the Sankt Johannis district of the Upper Franconian city of Bayreuth. It is not to be confused with the New Palace in the city centre, built from 1753 onwards. A special feature of the palace complex is the colourfulness of its outer walls, which is created by stones, crystals and pieces of glass in a mosaic-like arrangement.
The Bayreuth Festspielhaus or Bayreuth Festival Theatre is an opera house north of Bayreuth, Germany, built by the 19th-century German composer Richard Wagner and dedicated solely to the performance of his stage works. It is the venue for the annual Bayreuth Festival, for which it was specifically conceived and built. Its official name is Richard-Wagner-Festspielhaus.
6. Stadtkirche „Heilig Dreifaltigkeit
Trinity Church of Bayreuth, a Gothic late Protestant cathedral with three naves, is the largest church in the city. The building, an affiliate to St. Nicholas' Church in Altenstadt, honors St. Magdalene, was destroyed in 1605 in a city fire. In 1611, the church began to be rebuilt, and on the first day of Advent in 1614, it was dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
The German Masonic Museum in Bayreuth (Upper Franconia) houses one of the largest collections of Masonic cultural assets in the world: Masonica of all kinds such as lodge badges, ritual objects, work rugs and the largest Masonic library in the German-speaking world. It is dedicated to the history of Freemasonry and its interactions within Germany.
8. Margravial Opera House
The Margravial Opera House is a Baroque opera house in the town of Bayreuth, Germany. Built between 1745 and 1750, it is one of Europe's few surviving theatres of the period and has been extensively restored. On 30 June 2012, the opera house was inscribed in the UNESCO World Heritage List because of its exceptional Baroque architecture.
The Spitalkirche in Bayreuth is located in the city centre on Maximiliansstraße, a street market. It belongs to the Margrave Churches, is Evangelical Lutheran and is administered by the city of Bayreuth as part of the Hospital Foundation. The eponymous former hospital, which houses apartments and the city archive, is directly adjacent.
10. Deutsches Schreibmaschinenmuseum
Until August 2022, the German Typewriter Museum was located in the Sankt Georgen district of Bayreuth, in outbuildings of the former Leers orphanage from 1901. Since then, the exhibits have been temporarily stored in a secret location before they can move into their new home on the grounds of the Thiergarten hunting lodge.
11. Friedhof Bayreuth
Franz Liszt was a Hungarian composer, virtuoso pianist and teacher of the Romantic period. With a diverse body of work spanning more than six decades, he is considered to be one of the most prolific and influential composers of his era and remains one of the most popular composers in modern concert piano repertoire.
12. Synagoge Bayreuth
The Bayreuth Synagogue is the prayer house of the Jewish Community in the Upper Franconian district capital of Bayreuth. It is located at Münzgasse 2, based on the Margravial Opera House. The baroque house is the oldest synagogue in Germany that is still used for its intended purpose.
13. Altes Rathaus
The Kunstmuseum Bayreuth is a museum for modern art, opened in 1999 in Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany. The historic rooms of the baroque former town hall present exhibitions with contemporary art and classical modern art. The offer includes guided tours, educational events and lectures.
14. Gluehwürmchen Feuersalamander
Fire Salamander Firefly is a 23.5 meter wide and 1.10 meter high lettering at the Kolping House in Bayreuth, which is attributed to the artist Roland Schön. Since its construction in 2008, the lettering has had its third location in the city as Art in Architecture.
15. Ökologisch-Botanischer Garten
The Ökologisch-Botanischer Garten der Universität Bayreuth is a botanical garden maintained by the University of Bayreuth. It is located at Universitätsstraße 30, Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany, and open daily except Saturday.
The Tahara House at the Jewish cemetery in Bayreuth, a town in the Bavarian administrative district of Upper Franconia, was built around 1870. The Tahara House in the southeast corner of the cemetery is a protected monument.
17. Jüdischer Friedhof
The Jewish cemetery of Bayreuth was founded in 1787 as a burial place for the Jews of Bayreuth, a town in the Bavarian administrative district of Upper Franconia. Today there are about 1000 graves in the cemetery.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.