55 Sights in Augsburg, Germany (with Map and Images)
Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Augsburg:Tickets and guided tours on Viator*
Explore interesting sights in Augsburg, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 55 sights are available in Augsburg, Germany.List of cities in GermanySightseeing Tours in Augsburg
1. St. MoritzBook Ticket*
St. Moritz in Augsburg is a Catholic parish church and former collegiate church of the Collegiate Church of St. Moritz, which was dissolved as a result of secularization. Originally built as a burial place in memory of Bishop Bruno, the brother of Emperor Henry II the Saint, and expanded and redesigned several times over the centuries, it was rebuilt in a simplified form from 1946 to 1950 after its destruction in the Second World War. It is protected as an architectural monument.
2. Augsburg Synagogue
The Augsburg synagogue serves as a cultural center for the Jewish community in Augsburg. The Israelite cultural community of Augsburg-Swabia celebrates the Shabbat every Friday evening and every Saturday morning. The synagogue was built between 1914 and 1917 according to the designs of the architects Fritz Landauer and Heinrich Lömpel in Halderstrasse near the royal square. The Synagogue in Augsburg was also affected by the Reich pogrom night and the allied air raids carried out later. It was not until 1963 that a small part of the synagogue could be used by the community again. Between 1974 and 1985 the synagogue was finally completely restored. Since the reopening in 1985, it has also been home to the Jewish cultural museum Augsburg-Swabia.
The Glass Palace is an industrial monument in Augsburg, which was put into operation in 1910 as the fourth and last expansion stage of the Mechanical Cotton Spinning and Weaving Mill Augsburg (SWA). It is located on Otto-Lindenmeyer-Straße, named after SWA's first great manager. Production ended in 1988 with the bankruptcy of the company. The building was temporarily owned by the city of Augsburg and was sold to Ignaz Walter in 1999. As a refinancing of the renovation, the demolition of the weaving mill shed halls of the plant was permitted. This new development area is now referred to as Aumühle, whereby the former factory name lives on.
4. St. Anton
The Roman Catholic parish church of St. Anton in the Antonsviertel in Augsburg was consecrated on 26 May 1927 by Auxiliary Bishop Karl Reth. The church, a blank brick building with a two-tower façade, is located directly next to the Wittelsbacher Park and attracts attention with its modern architecture and the unusual building material clinker. St. Anton is considered one of the most important religious buildings of the first half of the 20th century in Germany. The architect Michael Kurz even gained international attention for the building. The building, which was undamaged during the Second World War, is now an architectural monument.
5. Kongress am Park
The Kongress am Park is an event venue in Augsburg, Germany. It is located in the northeastern area of Wittelsbacher Park in the Antonsviertel and was opened in 1972. The multifunctional venue is used as a congress centre, for sales exhibitions as well as for concerts and other cultural events. Since 2009, the hall has been managed by the Kongresshalle Augsburg Betriebs GmbH and marketed by the Regio Augsburg Tourismus GmbH. The multi-unit building complex is registered as an architectural monument in the Bavarian list of monuments and is one of the "important buildings of post-war modernism" in Augsburg.
The Leopold-Mozart-Haus Augsburg is a museum in Augsburg, Germany. It is located in a 17th-century craftsman's house where Leopold Mozart, the father of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, was born in 1719. Since 1937, an exhibition and memorial to the history of the Mozart family in Augsburg has been set up in the house. Until 2018, the museum was called "Mozarthaus Augsburg". After a renovation, it was reopened in 2020 under a new name and with a completely new permanent exhibition. The building is three-storey and has a curved gable. In the 19th century, the house underwent changes. It is a listed building.
7. St. Leonhard Kapelle
Banneker is a village in the southwestern part of Augsburg. He developed from the Bannacker hamlet, which was part of the city of Bergheim, which was then incorporated into the city of Augsburg in 1972. The Bannacker hamlet includes the Bannacker estate owned by the Bertele family and the estate of the Sch ä ffler family, known as J ä gersölde. Today, the Bannacker area is still composed of the so-called Bannacker area. Bannacker estate and its villas, Bertele estate and Stochmayrhaus and its chapel and Schaeffler estate.
The Erhard-Wunderlich-Sporthalle is an indoor sporting arena in Augsburg, Germany. The listed building is located on the southern edge of Wittelsbach Park and was built between 1963 and 1965 at a cost of around DM 3.95 million. It is the first large hall built in Augsburg after the Second World War. Since 2012, the former Augsburg sports hall has been officially named "Erhard-Wunderlich-Sporthalle" in honour of the Augsburg-born national handball player Erhard Wunderlich (1956–2012).
9. Wasserwerk am Hochablass
The Wasserwerk am Hochablass, also called Trinkwasserwerk am Neubach, is the first waterworks built in Augsburg for the pumping and treatment of drinking water. At that time, it formed the foundation stone for a modern, hygienic central drinking water supply in the Augsburg city area. After its closure in 2007, it served the Augsburger Stadtwerke as a hydroelectric power station for power generation, a museum of technology and an information centre for Augsburg's drinking water supply.
The Burggrafenturm is a building in Augsburg, Germany. The episcopal city was built on the ruins of the Roman settlement and consisted of a castle-like complex with cathedral, Fronhof and episcopal palatinate. In the burgrave's tower, which was rebuilt in 1507 under Bishop Heinrich IV of Lichtenau, the burgrave lived as the highest official of the castle town. However, the formerly important office was no longer mentioned in the imperial city court code of the 15th century.
The Naturmuseum Augsburg is operated by the city of Augsburg and is located in the "Augusta Arcaden" in the northern old town. The focus of the exhibitions from the fields of geology, mineralogy, botany, zoology and paleontology is the molasse, a layer of soil consisting of weathering debris that forms the subsoil of a large part of the Alpine foothills and southern Germany. The Augsburg Natural History Museum is the only one in Germany that specializes in this area.
Fünfgratturm is a defensive tower at Augsburg. It was built in 1454 as part of the fortifications of the eastern town of Augsburg, surrounding Jacob Wolstadt. It has been isolated from the rest of the world since this part of the wall was demolished in 1867/68. It was built specifically for the so-called Scharw ä chter patrols, which ensure Augsburg people can sleep peacefully. The tower was renovated in 1948 and 1973/74. It is listed as a historical monument.
The Protestant church of Barfüè erkirche in the Old City of Augsburg was built in the 13th century. It was built by Franciscans (barefoot) in the 4th century AD. After being widely destroyed in the Second World War, it was partially rebuilt in a simplified way. The towerless church, composed chiefly of former choirs, rises from a maze of narrow streets and simple gable houses, and appears straight and accurate in its plain form.
14. Synagoge Kriegshaber
The Kriegshaber Synagogue is the oldest surviving synagogue in Bavarian Swabia. For almost three hundred years, it formed the center of the Jewish community in Kriegshaber, a formerly independent place at the gates of the free imperial city, today a district of Augsburg. The profaned church is located at Ulmer Straße 228 and has been a branch of the Jewish Cultural Museum Augsburg-Swabia since its renovation in 2011–2014.
The Fuggerei Museum deals with the history of the Augsburg Fuggerei. It was founded in 1957 and is located at Mittlerer Gasse 13 and 14. In addition to a permanent exhibition, it houses a historic museum apartment, which shows life and living in the Fuggerei at the time of the early 19th century, as well as a modern show apartment. Since 2008, a World War II bunker has also been attached to the museum.
16. Jewish Museum Augsburg Swabia
The Jewish Museum Augsburg Schwaben was established in 1985 under the name "Jewish Culture Museum Augsburg-Schwaben" in the western wing of the Augsburg synagogue, which was built between 1914 and 1917 in Halderstrasse. After the misuse in the Nazi era, the building was renovated between 1972 and 1985. The museum was the first independent Jewish Museum in the Federal Republic of Germany in 1985.
Wikipedia: Jüdisches Kulturmuseum Augsburg-Schwaben (DE), Website
The urban career is a small green area in the city center of Augsburg. It is located in the Bahnhofsviertel on the street on the old inlet and, together with several surrounding historical buildings, forms an urban development that is under ensemble protection. From the green area created at the beginning of the 19th century, there is now only a smaller sub -area.
18. Benediktinerabtei St. Stephan
The St. Stephan monastery church in Augsburg is a former women's and today's Benedictine collegiate church. After the destruction in World War II, it was rebuilt in a simplified form until 1966. As a monument in the district of Bleich and Pfärrle, the church belonging to the St. Stephan monastery is entered in the Bavarian list of monuments.
19. Herz Jesu
The Catholic parish church Heiligstes Herz Jesu in Augsburg's Pfersee-Süd district is the largest Art Nouveau church in southern Germany. The church building association was founded in 1892 and the foundation stone was laid in 1907. The church was consecrated on 29 May 1910 by Bishop Maximilian von Lgg.
20. TIM Staatliches Textil- und Industriemuseum
The Augsburg textile and industry museum, known by its acronym tim, is a museum in Augsburg a city in the south-west of Bavaria, Germany. It is situated in the Augsburger Kammgarnspinnerei, a former worsted spinning mill. The museum is an Anchor point on the European Route of Industrial Heritage.
Wikipedia: Augsburg textile and industry museum (EN), Website
The armoury in the old town of Augsburg was built between 1602 and 1607 by Elias Holl. The designs for the façade – which, depending on the author, can either still be assigned to the Renaissance or Baroque, but most accurately to the transitional style of Mannerism – are by Joseph Heintz.
22. St. Peter und Paul
The Catholic parish church of St. Peter and Paul in the Augsburg district of Oberhausen is one of the oldest churches in Augsburg. After being destroyed in World War II, it was rebuilt in a simplified form. The church is registered as an architectural monument in the Bavarian list of monuments.
The MAN Museum is a technology and transport museum in Augsburg and is supported and maintained by MAN SE, MAN Diesel & Turbo SE and manroland AG. Its 1,800 m² exhibition is primarily dedicated to the history and technical developments of the group of companies, which originated here in 1840.
The Köpfhaus is a three-storey corner house in the city centre of Augsburg, which is a listed building. It is located at Fuggerplatz 9 and consists of various houses that have been united over the centuries into one building. The oldest parts of the head house date back to the 14th century.
25. Großer Wasserturm
The water towers in Augsburg are monuments to Augsburg's historic water management. Of the preserved water towers in Augsburg, four have been part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site "Augsburg Water Management System" since 2019. One of them is considered the oldest water tower in Germany.
The craftsmen's fountain on Georg-Käß-Platz in Augsburg-Haunstetten was created by Christian Angerbauer in 1972, the year Haunstetten was incorporated into Augsburg. It forms the centre of a small green area, which was created in 1971 by the demolition of a former blacksmith's estate.
27. Trinkbrunnen Senkelbach
The fountain at Bourges-Platz in Augsburg was built around 1900 and is registered as a monument in the Bavarian list of monuments. It is one of the last public drinking water wells in the city from this time. Once these cast-iron fountains were represented in Augsburg in large numbers.
The Holy Spirit Chapel in Augsburg is located in the Heilig-Geist-Spital in the Spitalgasse directly next to the upper Brunnenmeisterhaus at the Red Gate. It is also known as the hospital chapel. It is a listed building in the borough of Augsburg-Lechviertel, eastern Ulrichsviertel.
29. Kunstmuseum Walter
The Kunstmuseum Walter is a privately run museum in Augsburg, Germany. It is located in the Glass Palace and displays modern and contemporary art. The owner of the collection and at the same time namesake of the museum, which opened in 2002, is the building contractor Ignaz Walter.
30. Augsburger Kahnfahrt
The Augsburger Kahnfahrt is a leisure facility with restaurant and beer garden in Augsburg. The privately owned boat rental company has a tradition dating back to the 19th century and uses the water surfaces of the city moat in the historic Augsburg district of Jakobervorstadt.
The former Dominican Church of St. Magdalene in Augsburg, also known as the Predigerkirche, is the last remnant of the secularized Dominican monastery destroyed in the Second World War. As an architectural monument it is registered in the Bavarian list of monuments.
32. Schloss Wellenburg
Wellenburg Castle, also known as the Fugger Castle, is located on a wooded spur high above the Wertach valley, is a neo-Gothic palace in the Augsburg-Bergheim district. It has been inhabited by the Fugger-Babenhausen family since 1595 and is not open to the public.
33. Kleiner Goldener Saal
The Small Golden Hall is a late Baroque ballroom of the former Augsburg Jesuit College St. Salvator, which is located at Jesuitengasse 12 north of the cathedral. The Small Golden Hall should not be confused with the Golden Hall in the town hall of the Fugger city.
The Jakobertor from the 14th century is one of five still existing Augsburg city gates and forms the eastern end of the Jakoberstadt. It was originally part of the city wall. Only a small piece of this is reconstructed north, so that the gate is largely free.
35. Goldener Saal
The Goldener Saal is a ceremonial room in the 3rd floor of Augsburg Town Hall, which is famous for its ceiling paintings, murals, and golden wall decoration. It was finished in 1643 and is one of the most important cultural monuments of the late Renaissance.
36. St. Sebastian
The St. Sebastian monastery was a Capuchin monastery in Augsburg-Oberhausen on the right of the Wertach until 2008. It is enclosed on three sides from the plant area of the mechanical engineering company, on the fourth side it borders on Sebastianstrasse.
37. St. Georg und Michael
St. Georg und Michael is a Roman Catholic parish church in the centre of the Augsburg district of Göggingen. The church is protected as an architectural monument and registered with the number D-7-61-000-555. Adjacent is the Evangelical Trinity Church.
38. St. Martin
St. Martin is a Roman Catholic parish church in the north of the Augsburg district of Oberhausen. It belongs to the Deanery of Augsburg II of the Diocese of Augsburg. The three-nave basilica with recessed choir is protected as an architectural monument.
The Forest Museum Waldpavillon is operated by the city forestry administration of the city of Augsburg and is located in the district Hochfeld. On an exhibition area of 200 m², it is dedicated to the functions and tasks of the Augsburg City Forest.
The Augsburg Freedom Movement was a group of Augsburg citizens that formed in the last weeks of World War II. They achieved a non-combatant, non-violent handover of the city to the advancing US troops without further casualties and war damage.
41. Gaswerk Augsburg
The Augsburg gasworks was put into operation at the end of 1915 in the Augsburg district of Oberhausen. Since 2001, the entire gasworks with the gas boiler – a disc gas container formerly operated at low pressure – has been shut down.
42. Kurhaus Göggingen
The Kurhaus Göggingen was designed and built on behalf of Hofrat Friedrich Hessing 1885–1886 by architect Jean Keller. It is the only preserved multifunction theater in glass and cast iron construction from the Wilhelminian era.
The cathedral fountain in Augsburg is located in the south of the east choir of Augsburg Cathedral on the cathedral square and consists of a group of figures of the three diocesan patrons Bishop Ulrich, St. Afra and Bishop Simpert.
44. Wertachbrucker Tor
The Wertachbrucker Tor is located on the edge of Augsburg's old town and was formerly part of the medieval city wall as a passageway. Today it serves mainly the carpenters' guild as a representative building and as an event venue.
The Weberhaus is the former Weber guild house in Augsburg. The historicizing building, which was built in 1913, replaced a late Gothic predecessor building in about the same place. It is located in the city center on Moritzplatz.
46. Oberes Brunnenmeisterhaus
The upper fountain master's house in Augsburg, also called the "Haus bei den Fischen", served as the official residence of the Augsburg fountain masters. Today it is part of the listed historic waterworks at the Red Gate.
The Mechanische Baumwollspinnerei und Weberei is a cotton mill in Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany. It was founded in 1837 and was considered one of the oldest textile manufacturing companies in Germany. It was closed in 1989.
Wikipedia: Mechanische Baumwollspinnerei und Weberei Augsburg (EN)
The Kastenturm, also called Spitalturm, is a water tower in Augsburg and a monument to Augsburg's historic water management. It is located at the Holy Spirit Hospital, which is adjacent to the waterworks at the Red Gate.
The Vogeltor in Augsburg is part of the former city wall and formerly served as an entrance to the Jakobervorstadt, which is located in the area of today's planning area Augsburg-Innenstadt (Augsburg city centre).
50. St. Margareth
The Church of St. Margareth in Augsburg is a former monastery church of the Dominican women and is now used by the St. Petrus priesthood. The church is a monument that is entered in the Bavarian list of monuments.
51. St. Thaddäus
The Catholic parish church of St. Thaddäus is located on the corner of Reinöhl-/Ulmer Straße in the Augsburg district of Kriegshaber (Neukriegshaber) at Augsburg-Oberhausen station opposite Keller & Knappich.
The Hofgarten is a green area in the old town of Augsburg. It is part of the former prince-bishop's residence, which was rebuilt in the 18th century and was built between 1739 and 1744 by Johann Caspar Bagnato.
53. Freilichtbühne Augsburg
The open-air stage at the Red Gate is one of the most renowned open-air stages in Germany. With the Red Gate, the ramparts and the Holy Spirit Hospital in the background, it has a picturesque medieval backdrop.
The Ski Museum Augsburg is located in Augsburg's textile district and deals with the history and development of modern skiing. It exhibits various historical and contemporary exhibits on an area of 300 m².
55. Fugger und Welser Erlebnismuseum
The Fugger and Welser Erlebnismuseum is a museum in the cathedral district in Augsburg, which deals with the history of the two Augsburg merchant families Fugger and Welser. The museum opened in 2014.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.