Looking for premium sights?
Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Versailles:Tickets and guided tours on Viator*
Here you can find interesting sights in Versailles, France. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 19 sights are available in Versailles, France.List of cities in France Sightseeing Tours in Versailles
1. La Tour de Marlborough
The Hameau de la Reine is a rustic retreat in the park of the Château de Versailles built for Marie Antoinette in 1783 near the Petit Trianon in Yvelines, France. It served as a private meeting place for the Queen and her closest friends; a place of leisure. Designed by the Queen's favoured architect, Richard Mique, with the help of the painter Hubert Robert, it contained a meadowland with a lake and various buildings in a rustic or vernacular style, inspired by Norman or Flemish design, situated around an irregular pond fed by a stream that turned a mill wheel. The building scheme included a farmhouse,, a dairy, a dovecote, a boudoir, a barn that burned down during the French Revolution, a mill and a tower in the form of a lighthouse. Each building is decorated with a garden, an orchard or a flower garden. The largest and most famous of these houses is the "Queen's House", connected to the Billiard house by a wooden gallery, at the center of the village. A working farm was close to the idyllic, fantasy-like setting of the Queen's Hamlet.
2. Statue équestre de Louis XIV sous les traits de Marcus Curtius
The Equestrian Statue of King Louis XIV is a sculpture designed and partially executed by the Italian artist Gian Lorenzo Bernini, who was originally brought to France to design a new facade of the Louvre, a portrait bust, and an equestrian statue. Bernini first discussed the project while in France in the mid-1660s, but it did not start until later in the decade, when back in Rome. It was not completed until 1684 and then shipped to Paris in 1685. Louis XIV of France was extremely unhappy with the end result and had it placed in a corner of the gardens of the royal palace at Versailles. Soon after, the sculpture was modified by François Girardon and altered into an equestrian sculpture of the ancient Roman hero Marcus Curtius.
3. Queen's Theatre
The Théâtre de la Reine ou Théâtre du Trianon is a theater built for Queen Marie-Antoinette by the architect Richard Mique from June 1778 to July 1779. It is located in the grounds of the Petit Trianon, in the park of the Palace of Versailles, hidden between the tree tunnel of the French Garden and the tall trees of the Alpine Garden. The exterior of the building, which looks like an outbuilding, contrasts with the sophisticated decoration of its interior, which is adorned with blue silk and velvet and gilded sculptures, yet is all pretense. It was inaugurated in 1780, ten years after the opening of the "Grand Théâtre", as the Royal Opera of Versailles was then called.
4. Musée de l’Histoire de France
The Musée de l'Histoire de France is a museum that was created by King Louis Philippe I in the Palace of Versailles and opened in 1837. At the time, it represented an ambitious project of national reconciliation between the hitherto competing narratives of the French monarchy and the French Revolution, to which Louis-Philippe devoted significant personal attention. Whereas it gradually faded in importance as a museum in the later 19th century, its lavish historicist decoration remains a major exemplar of the art of France's July Monarchy.
5. Galerie des Cotelle
The Grand Trianon is a French Baroque style château situated in the northwestern part of the Domain of Versailles in Versailles, France. It was built at the request of King Louis XIV of France as a retreat for himself and his maîtresse-en-titre of the time, the Marquise de Montespan, and as a place where he and invited guests could take light meals (collations) away from the strict étiquette of the royal court. The Grand Trianon is set within its own park, which includes the Petit Trianon.
6. Musée Lambinet
The Musée Lambinet is a municipal museum in Versailles telling the history of the town. Since 1932, it has been housed in the hôtel Lambinet, a hôtel particulier designed by Élie Blanchard, built in the second half of the 18th century by a part of the Clagny lake and left to the town of Versailles by the heirs of Victor Lambinet in 1929. It has been classed as a monument historique since 1944. Its garden façade has a sculpted pediment representing an allegorical figure of architecture.
7. Chapelle Notre-Dame des Armées
The Notre-Dame-des-Armées chapel is a Roman Catholic church located in Versailles, at 10 impasse des Gendarmes. Built in 1877 by Frantz Blondel under the direction of the Eudist Fathers, it first served as the Soldier's Home. Bishop Roland-Gosselin of Versailles entrusted the work of the military to the Eudist priests and built a chapel for them. The latter was, until 1967, an integral part of the homes and chaplaincy of the French Army, then still run by the Eudists.
8. Opéra Royal
The Royal Opera of Versailles is the main theatre and opera house of the Palace of Versailles. Designed by Ange-Jacques Gabriel, it is also known as the Théâtre Gabriel. The interior decoration by Augustin Pajou is constructed almost entirely of wood, painted to resemble marble in a technique known as faux marble. The excellent acoustics of the opera house are at least partly due to its wooden interior.
9. Théâtre Montansier
The Théâtre Montansier is a French theatre in rue des Réservoirs, Versailles, near the royal château. It was created by the actress and theatre director Mademoiselle Montansier, designed by Jean-François Heurtier, inspecteur général des bâtiments du roi and designer of the Salle Favart at the Opéra-Comique. The theatre opened 18 November 1777, with Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette in attendance.
10. Le colérique
The grande commande was a commission ordered by Louis XIV for statues intended to decorate the parterre d’eau of the gardens of the Palace of Versailles, as initially conceived in 1672. The commission, which included 24 statues and four groups, was ordered in 1674. Designed by Charles Le Brun from Cesare Ripa’s Iconologia, the statues were executed by the foremost sculptors of the day.
11. Borne du Serment de Koufra
The Capture of Kufra was part of the Allied Western Desert Campaign during the Second World War. Kufra is a group of oases in the Kufra District of south-eastern Cyrenaica in the Libyan Desert. In 1940, it was part of the colony of Italian Libya Libia Italiana, which was part of Africa Settentrionale Italiana (ASI), which had been established in 1934.
12. Lazare Hoche
Louis Lazare Hoche was a French military leader of the French Revolutionary Wars. He won a victory over Royalist forces in Brittany. His surname is one of the names inscribed under the Arc de Triomphe, on Column 3. Richard Holmes describes him as "quick-thinking, stern, and ruthless... a general of real talent whose early death was a loss to France."
13. Jardin anglais
The Petit Trianon is a Neoclassical style château located on the grounds of the Palace of Versailles in Versailles, France. It was built between 1762 and 1768 during the reign of King Louis XV of France. The Petit Trianon was constructed within the park of a larger royal retreat known as the Grand Trianon.
14. Temple de l’Église de Jésus-Christ des Saints des derniers jours
The Paris France Temple is a temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Le Chesnay, a suburb of Paris, France, and is located near Versailles. The Paris France Temple is the first temple built in Metropolitan France, and the second associated with France, after the Papeete Tahiti Temple.
15. Apollon servi par les nymphes
Apollo served by the nymphs is a group of seven marble statues made in 1666 by François Girardon and Thomas Regnaudin for the Grotto of Tethys at the Palace of Versailles. They are accompanied by the horses of the Sun, two groups signed by Gilles Guérin for one and the Marsy brothers for the other.
16. Synagogue de Versailles
The Versailles Synagogue is situated at 10, rue Albert Joly in Versailles in the Department of Yvelines. It is one of the oldest Synagogues in the Île-de-France. Built between 1884 and 1886 by the architect Alfred-Philibert Aldrophe (1834–1895), it was inaugurated in 1886.
17. Salle du Jeu de Paume
The Salle du Jeu de Paume is located at No. 1 rue du Jeu de Paume, in the heart of the Saint-Louis district, in Versailles (Yvelines). It is famous for the oath of the Jeu de paume that the deputies of the Third Estate took there on June 20, 1789.
18. Le Potager du Roi
The King's vegetable garden is a vegetable garden of 9 hectares, created in 1683 at the Palace of Versailles by the director of the royal gardens Jean-Baptiste de La Quintinie, at the request of King Louis XIV, to supply the court of Versailles.
19. L'Enlèvement de Proserpine par Pluton
The Abduction of Proserpine by Pluto, a masterpiece by François Girardon inspired by the story of the abduction of Persephone or Proserpina, is a bound marble group completed around 1696, preserved in the orangery of the Palace of Versailles.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.