Looking for premium sights?
Here you can book tickets, guided tours and other activities in Avignon:Get tickets and guided tours now *
Here you can find interesting sights in Avignon, France. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 13 sights are available in Avignon, France.Back to the list of cities in France
1. Hôtel de Salvati-Palasse
The Vaucluse Academy, founded in 1801, is the oldest association in Vaucluse. This learned company is a continuation of the Academy of Emulators of Avignon founded in 1658, it was recognized as a public utility in 1919. The Academy of Vaucluse, generalist, grants priority to local history in all its aspects. It exercises an important cultural role by the activity of its members, its periodicals, its exhibitions and conferences on Vauclusian history and archeology. In addition to her publishing activities, she is a depositary of documentation funds made up of local works and regional learned journals, biographies, apart, monographs from cities and villages. Beautiful library, with in particular the publications of learned companies in relation to the Vaucluse Academy.
2. Chapelle des Pénitents Noirs
The Chapel of the Black Confessor is located on Banastley Street in Avignon (Wokles). It is home to one of the largest fraternities in Pope City. The "Grey Confessor" was the first of a long list of confessors in Avignon. Later known as the "Black Confessor", it was founded by a group of Florentine nobles in 1488; "White Confessor," a fraternity founded by 13 Avignon people in 1527; "The Blue Confessor," founded in 1557 by dissent from other fraternities. Then, at the end of the 16th century, "compassionate black confessor" was born. This movement continued with the establishment of the Purple Confessor (1622) and the Red Confessor (1700). The revolution ended this prosperity, and today Avignon is left with only "Gray Confessor" and "Black Confessor".
3. Maison Jean Vilar
The Jean Vilar house, inaugurated on July 18, 1979, is a place of memory and animation devoted to the work of Jean Vilar in all its aspects, at the Avignon Festival and the "Off", as well as to the performing arts in Avignon and its region. The dynamics of this place are based, at the start, on the alliance of three entities: the Jean Vilar association, the city of Avignon and the National Library of France gathered by a tripartite agreement signed for 30 years, December 12, 1977. It was from 2011 that the Ministry of Culture and Communication, which pays a subsidy to the Jean Vilar association, became the fourth partner. A new agreement is signed and renewed until 2017.
4. Musée du Petit Palais
The Musée du Petit Palais is a museum and art gallery in Avignon, southern France. It opened in 1976 and has an exceptional collection of Renaissance paintings of the Avignon school as well as from Italy, which reunites many "primitives" from the collection of Giampietro Campana. It is housed in a 14th-century building at the north side of the square overlooked by the Palais des Papes. The building, built in the early 14th century as the residence of the bishops of Avignon, was made a UNESCO World Heritage Site as part of the historic center of Avignon in 1995.
5. Chapelle Saint-Louis
The Jesuit novitiate is a building built in Avignon in the Comtat Venaissin at the end of the 16th century, to serve as a religious formation house for the novices of the Company of Jesus. When the Jesuits are expelled from France (1768) the building passed into other hands and became the property of the city of Avignon, in 1852. In 1987 the places were rehabilitated to allow the opening of a hotel and the Organization of cultural or tourist activities. Since 1950, buildings and cloister have been registered in the register of historic monuments.
6. Musée Angladon
The Angladon Museum - Jacques Doucet is a museum at 5 rue Laboureur in Avignon. It is based in the hôtel de Massilian, a former hôtel particulier built in the 18th century. The museum was established in 1996 according to the wishes of Jean and Paulette Angladon-Dubrujeaud, heirs to the widow of the Parisian couturier Jacques Doucet (1853-1929). Its collections includes artworks from the 18th to 20th century.
7. Statue du Millénaire capétien
Mill é naire Capetien was organized in 1987 in France to celebrate the 1000th anniversary of Hugues Capet's accession to the throne. By decree of the President of the French Republic, Francois Mitterrand, and under his strong sponsorship, the Commission to Celebrate the Millennium of Hugh Cape's accession to the throne was established. The committee is chaired by Jean Favier, director of the French Archives.
8. Musée Lapidaire
The Lapidary Museum is a lapidarium-museum in Avignon, France. It has housed the classical Greek, Etruscan, Roman and Gallo-Roman sculptures and objects of the Calvet Museum since the 1980s. They are both run by the Fondation Calvet. As well as exhibiting the museum's core collections, it also mounts summer temporary exhibitions, conferences and networking events, particularly for scholars.
9. Église Saint-Joseph-Travailleur
St Joseph-Worker's Church is a parish church with firm modern architecture commissioned by Avignon Parish in the province of Walklus to provide equipment for a new community. It was built in the second half of the 20th century by French architect Guillaume Gilles (1912-1987), who came from Vais. Built from 1967 to 1969, it is enshrined on October 19, 1969.
10. Hôtel de Villeneuve-Martignan
The Calvet Museum is the main museum in Avignon. Since the 1980s the collection has been split between two buildings, with the fine arts housed in an 18th-century hôtel particulier and a separate Lapidary Museum in the former chapel of the city's Jesuit college on rue de la République. It is one of the museums run by the Fondation Calvet.
11. Hôtel de l'Espine
The Hôtel de l'Espine is a former Avignon mansion, built on the site of a convent founded by the Dominicans of Sainte Praxède in Avignon from the 15th century, and of which only rare vestiges remain. Today it houses the Chamber of Trades and Crafts of Vaucluse.
12. Basilique Saint-Pierre
13. Chapelle de l'Oratoire
The chapel of the Oratory of Avignon is located in rue Joseph Vernet. This 18th century building was started in 1713, taken up in 1730 to be finally completed in 1749. It has been classified as a historic monument since 1912.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.