Here you can find interesting sights in Kuopio, Finland. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 7 sights are available in Kuopio, Finland.List of cities in Finland Sightseeing Tours in Kuopio
1. Kuopio City Hall
Kuopio City Hall is a town hall in center of the Kuopio, Finland, near the Kuopio Market Square. It was designed by Finnish architects F. A. Sjöström and Josef Stenbäck, and was completed in 1886. Stylistically, the city hall is of the Neo-Renaissance of the second half of the 19th century. The current exterior coloring of the house dates back to 1974. In the most beautiful municipal buildings poll, in 2009 Kuopio City Hall was chosen among the three most beautiful municipal buildings. When completed, it sovereignly controlled the northern edge of the market square, the area around the square was still completely wooden at that time. Spatial changes were common in the first decades of the house. The first floor of the house had a restaurant and a public library.
The Kuopio Museum is an Art Nouveau-style museum building completed in 1907 on the edge of Snellman Park in Vahtivuori, Kuopio, Finland. The Kuopio Museum is the third oldest specially built museum building in Finland after the Helsinki's Ateneum (1887) and the Turku's Art Museum (1904). It has national romantic features and was inspired by Finnish castles, such as St. Olaf's Castle and Vyborg Castle. The building's architect was J. V. Strömberg, who designed a significant number of Kuopio's public buildings at the turn of the 20th century. The Kuopio Museum houses the exhibition facilities of the Kuopio Museum of Natural History and the Kuopio Museum of Cultural History. The museum is visited by an average of about 30,000 visitors a year.
3. St. Nicholas' Cathedral
St. Nicholas Cathedral is the main church of the Kuopio Orthodox Parish in Väinölänniemi, Kuopio, Finland, and also the seat of the Orthodox Diocese of Karelia. The church was completed in 1903 and is dedicated to the memory of Saint Nicholas. The church, built between 1902 and 1903, was designed by the master builder Aleksander Isakson from Vyborg. The facade is plastered and painted to look like red brick, but there is also genuine brick under the plaster. In appearance, it resembles red-brick simultaneous garrison churches. The iconostasis was made at the Alexander Nevsky Lavra in Saint Petersburg and was donated by Nikolay Bobrikov, the Governor-General of Finland. There are eight bells in the cathedral.
The Snellman Park is the oldest park in the city of Kuopio, Finland, located at the Vahtivuori district in the city center between the Kauppakatu and Minna Canthin katu streets, in the adjacent block of Kuopio Cathedral. The park covers an area of 1.4 hectares. Today, the park and its surroundings are part of the larger Kuopio National City Park, established in late 2017. The park is named after J. V. Snellman (1806–1881), the senator and the Fennoman, who influenced the affairs of the Grand Duchy from Kuopio, among other places.
5. J.V. Snellmanin kotimuseo
J. V. Snellman's Home Museum is a home museum located in the Väinölänniemi district in the central area of Kuopio. The museum exhibits the family home of J. V. Snellman (1806-81) with its furnishings and artifacts. During his years in Kuopio (1845-49), Snellman lived mainly in this house.
6. Alavan kirkko
Descending Church is a church building in Kupia. It was designed by Swiss-born Andre Schutz. Schutz's proposal was chosen on the basis of competition among architects. The church was completed in 1968, which represents modernism in 1960s.
7. Kuopion taidemuseo
The Cupia Museum of Art is a museum of regional responsibility in North Savoy. The museum, once a regional art museum, was born nearly 30 years after the season of planning and temporary exhibition halls in 1980.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.