Here you can find interesting sights in Ostend, Belgium. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 9 sights are available in Ostend, Belgium.Back to the list of cities in Belgium
1. Nationaal Monument voor de Zeelieden
The Belgian National Seafarers Monument pays tribute to fishermen, boat boys, sailors and soldiers who lost their lives at sea. It is located in Sea Heroes Square in eastern Belgium. Designed based on a voluntary kreitz idea, the monument was built in 1953-54 at the same site as the first Eastern Lighthouse, which had long been abandoned at the time. The monument has become an architectural heritage since October 5, 2009. Since May 26, 2005, it has been protected as a monument. Every Easter Monday, the fishermen's community pays tribute to this monument and pays tribute to the victims of the ocean.
The church is located in the center of the church in the east of the church, on Kapujine Street in the former captain's dormitory. Built in 1618, the church is the second oldest east building after St. Feng Tower. At first, the building had a small house with mountain hair and garlic skin, which was connected with the monastery. Later, it was extended to the second mountain Mao Shuixiu. The monastery was sold and demolished in 1798. The church was severely damaged and repaired again many times over a period of time. The church was listed as a protected monument on June 23, 1960.
Sint-Petrus-en-Pauluskerk, the main church of Ostend, Belgium, is a Roman Catholic Neo-Gothic church. It is built on the ashes of a previous church that occupied the site. King Leopold II enthusiastically supported a plan to build a new and more magnificent church. Construction started in 1899 and was completed and consecrated by Bishop Waffelaert on August 31, 1908. Its stained glass windows were destroyed during the two World Wars and were replaced by windows by Michiel Martens. The church is 70 meters long and 30 meters wide. Its spires are 72 meters high.
The family was the home of James ensor (1860-1949), and his loyal domestic servant, yper, who lived and worked in 1917 until his death. Ensor inherited the property of his uncle Leopold Heyman and his aunt Paulownia, who opened a shell and souvenir shop during the winter. The house is located in the flea market in the east and extends along with the chapel. Before that, Sensor lived at his parents' home on the corner of the flea market and Iseghemlan.
5. Casino Kursaal
The casino (kasino kurs) or east (kurs) is a cold storage room in the coastal city of eastern Belgium. It was built in 1950, and according to the architect's plan, it was built into white Portland Stone. It is located on the seawall at the end of the Leopold-Iran River. The stadium covers an area of 1 hectare and is the largest casino in Europe. In the colonnade, there are four elements of the Coscar spray gun.
6. Mu.ZEE PMMK MSK
The Mu. ZEE is a museum in Ostend, Belgium, specializing in Belgian art from 1830 onwards. It was created in 2008 by the fusion of the former Provinciaal Museum voor Moderne Kunst and the Museum voor Schone Kunsten Oostende, both located in Ostend. The museum has two dependencies, the Ensorhuis in Ostend, and the Permekemuseum in Jabbeke. Mu. ZEE is an abbreviation of "Kunstmuseum aan Zee".
The Leopoldpark in Ostend (Belgium) was designed by garden architect Louis Fuchs (1818-1904) after the model of an English park, with bridges, hiking trails and flower beds. The park was partially constructed over the old city walls, but also partly outside in the military domain. It has an area of approximately 5 hectares.
8. Zeilschip Mercator
The barquentine Mercator was built as a training ship for the Belgian merchant fleet. She was named after Gerardus Mercator (1512–1594), a Belgian cartographer. She was designed by G. L. Watson & Co. and built in Leith, Scotland and launched in 1932.
9. Leopold II (ruiterstandbeeld)
The statue of King Leopold II in the Belgian city of Ostend is located on the Royal Galleries by the beach. King Leopold II of Belgium was commemorated here as a benefactor of Ostend and the Belgian Congo. The inauguration was on 19 July 1931.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.