Your chosen free self-guided walking sightseeing tour is located in Soest, Germany. The map shows the route of the tour. Below is a list of attractions including their details.All sightseeing tours in Soest Individual sights in Soest
Sight 1: Osthofentor
The Osthofentor is a city gate of the Hanseatic city of Soest on Hellweg, newly built in the period from 1594 to 1603. The sandstone building is the last surviving of formerly eight main and two secondary gates.
Sight 2: Sankt Maria zur Höhe
St. Maria zur Höhe, also Hohnekirche, is an important church in Soest (North Rhine-Westphalia). It is considered one of the first hall churches.
Sight 3: Sankt Maria zur Wiese
The Evangelical Wiesenkirche or Church of St. Maria zur Wiese in Soest is considered a perfectly formed Westphalian hall church. Characterized by an almost square floor plan, its interior offers the viewer from some points the impression of a pure window front, supported by graceful bundle pillars. The high window strips almost reach the floor in the choir. During the day, the church appears light and flooded with light. Three almost equally high, very flat curved naves give the room its evenness. The history of construction extends over centuries. In place of the Romanesque predecessor building, the foundation stone for today's church was laid in 1313. The twin towers that dominate the exterior were not built until the second half of the 19th century.
Sight 4: Kleinbahnhof RLE
The Gaststätte Am Kleinbahnhof is a listed secular building in the district town of Soest in North Rhine-Westphalia.
Sight 5: Sankt Petri Kirche
St. Petri is the oldest parish church in Soest and one of the oldest church foundations in Westphalia. Already at the end of the 8th century, a church was built on this site in connection with Charlemagne's Saxon mission.
Sight 6: St. Patrokli-Dom
St. Patrokli is a Roman Catholic parish and church in Soest, Germany. The church is of great significance in the history of architecture as it is the epitome of Romanesque architecture in Westphalia. As a result, it is known as St.-Patrokli-Dom. It holds relics of its patron saint Patroclus of Troyes from 954. It was the church of the canonical foundation of St. Patroclus, which existed from the 10th century until its abolition in 1812. Since 1823 the church has been the parish church of the St. Patrokli parish in the diocese of Paderborn. In 1859 it was promoted to the rank of provost church.
Sight 7: Nikolai-Kapelle
Due to its special design, the Nikolaikapelle in Soest in the immediate vicinity of the Patroklidom has an excellent place among the chapel buildings of Westphalia in terms of art and architectural history. It was built around 1200 in the immunity area of the St. Patrokli Abbey, but according to recent research, probably not by Soest merchants, as was often assumed due to the Nikolaus patronage and the design.
Sight 8: Haus zum Spiegel
The Haus zum Spiegel in Jakobistraße in Soest is a listed patrician house. The current building from 1696 goes back to a medieval predecessor building. Today it houses the city archive and the city archaeology.
Sight 9: Pilgrimhaus
Pilgrim House is a traditional hotel and restaurant in Soest city, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It was founded in 1304 and used mainly by pilgrims on Camino de Santiago.
Sight 10: Sankt Pauli
St. Pauli is a Gothic hall church in Souster, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. The three-arched hall church and huge square towers shape the urban landscape in the southwest of the city. It belongs to the Protestant Diocese of St. Peter-Paulie, which has about 8,100 members and is the largest Protestant diocese in Soest, belonging to Kirchenkreis Soest.
Sight 11: Burghofmuseum
The Burghof is an old patrician house in Soest with a castle history museum and a historic ballroom. Immediately adjacent is the so-called Romanesque House from 1180, an almost original preserved residential tower-like building, the oldest still existing residential building between the Rhine and Weser.
Sight 12: Sankt Thomä
The Franciscan monastery in Soest was founded in 1233 and existed until 1814. The Gothic monastery church Neu-St. Thomas now serves as a Protestant parish church.
Sight 13: Alt-Sankt Thomä
"Leaning Tower" is the colloquial name for the church of St. Thomae in Soest, founded in the 12th century in the course of the construction of the new archiepiscopal palatinate. The official name Alt St. Thomae of this church is explained to distinguish it from the nearby former monastery church Neu St. Thomae. The leaning spire of Alt St. Thomae occupies a special and eccentric place in the silhouette of the Soest church towers. With the extension of the Romanesque building to the early Gothic hall church in the 13th century, Alt St. Thomae is one of the oldest Gothic church buildings in Germany. Alt St. Thomae is the only church in the immediate vicinity of the city wall in Soest and is also the only one among the Soest churches still has a church garden.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.
Download for GPS devices You can download the tour as a GPX file for GPS devices and navigation apps here: Download GPX file