Explore Saint-Vigor-le-Grand in France with this free self-guided walking tour. The map shows the route of the tour. Below is a list of attractions, including their details.All Sightseeing Tours in Saint-Vigor-le-Grand Individual Sights in Saint-Vigor-le-Grand
Sight 1: Prieuré Saint-Vigor
Saint-Vigor Priory, formerly Saint-Vigor Abbey, was a Benedictine monastery in the town of Saint-Vigor-le-Grand in Calvados, Normandy, France. Its foundation is attributed to Saint Vigor, bishop of Bayeux in the first third of the 6th century. It was destroyed in the late 10th century by the invading Normans. In the late 11th century Odo, bishop of Bayeux, attempted a revival of the monastery as an independent abbey but it was not successful, and in the 1090s the community was made a dependent priory of the Abbey of St. Benignus, Dijon. The abbey relinquished its rights over the priory in 1702. The reformist Congregation of St. Maur took it on in 1712. It was suppressed in 1790 in the French Revolution.
Sight 2: Maison de François Ier
The Grand Hôtel d'Argouges, or Maison de François Ier, Hôtel Guérin du Fresne, Hôtel de la Madeleine, is a private mansion located in the French commune of Bayeux, in the Calvados department, Normandy.
Sight 3: Thermes gallo-romains
The Gallo-Roman baths of the rue Laitière are a small thermal building discovered in 1882 in Bayeux, department of Calvados.
Sight 4: Ancien palais épiscopal, actuellement Hôtel de ville
The Palais épiscopal de Bayeux or Palais de l'Évêché de Bayeux is a former episcopal palace that stands on the territory of the commune of Bayeux, in the Calvados department, Normandy, France. It should not be confused with the Hôtel du Dean, used as an episcopal palace during the Concordat.
Sight 5: Musée d'Art et d'Histoire Baron Gérard
The Musée d'Art et d'Histoire Baron-Gérard (MAHB) is one of the three museums in the city of Bayeux in Normandy.
Sight 6: Cathédrale Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption
Bayeux Cathedral, also known as Cathedral of Our Lady of Bayeux, is a Roman Catholic church located in the town of Bayeux in Normandy, France. A national monument, it is the seat of the Bishop of Bayeux and Lisieux and was probably the original home of the Bayeux Tapestry, still preserved nearby. The cathedral is in the Norman-Romanesque architectural tradition.
Sight 7: Maison d'Adam et Eve
The House of Adam and Eve is a house in downtown Bayeux, Calvados, Normandy.
Sight 8: Discour de Bayeux par Charles de Gaulle 14.06.1944
The Bayeux speeches are two speeches delivered by General Charles de Gaulle of France in the context of liberation after the Normandy landings in June 1944 and in the immediate postwar period in June 1946.
Sight 9: Maison du Gouverneur
H ô tel du Gouverneur, also known as maison du Gouverneur, is a monument in the heart of Bayeux, France.
Sight 10: Hôtel du Doyen
The Hôtel du Doyen is a former mansion in Bayeux, used as an episcopal palace by the bishops of Bayeux, then Bayeux and Lisieux during the Condordat.
Sight 11: Stone of Remembrance
The Stone of Remembrance is a standardised design for war memorials that was designed in 1917 by the British architect Sir Edwin Lutyens for the Imperial War Graves Commission (IWGC). It was designed to commemorate the dead of World War I, to be used in IWGC war cemeteries containing 1,000 or more graves, or at memorial sites commemorating more than 1,000 war dead. Hundreds were erected following World War I, and it has since been used in cemeteries containing the Commonwealth dead of World War II as well. It is intended to commemorate those "of all faiths and none", and has been described as one of Lutyens' "most important and powerful works", with a "brooding, sentinel-like presence wherever used".
Sight 12: Cross of Sacrifice
The Cross of Sacrifice is a Commonwealth war memorial designed in 1918 by Sir Reginald Blomfield for the Imperial War Graves Commission. It is present in Commonwealth war cemeteries containing 40 or more graves. Its shape is an elongated Latin cross with proportions more typical of the Celtic cross, with the shaft and crossarm octagonal in section. It ranges in height from 18 to 24 feet. A bronze longsword, blade down, is affixed to the front of the cross. It is usually mounted on an octagonal base. It may be freestanding or incorporated into other cemetery features. The Cross of Sacrifice is widely praised, widely imitated, and the archetypal British war memorial. It is the most imitated of Commonwealth war memorials, and duplicates and imitations have been used around the world.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.
Download for GPS devices You can download the tour as a GPX file for GPS devices and navigation apps here: Download GPX file