Here you can find interesting sights in Town of Highlands, United States. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 5 sights are available in Town of Highlands, United States.Back to the list of cities in United States
1. Thayer Statue
Thayer Monument is a white granite monument and statue of Sylvanus Thayer at the United States Military Academy, designed by sculptor Carl Conrads and unveiled on June 11, 1883. Thayer is known as the "Father of the Military Academy" for the profound and lasting impact of his superintendency during the academy's early years. The monument's location has changed over the years. It first occupied the southwest corner of the Plain, but it currently sits at the intersection of Washington and Jefferson roads, adjacent to the Beat Navy tunnel on the northwest corner of the Plain. The memorial is the sight of multiple memorial ceremonies during the year as West Point reunions hold a parade and memorial service at the site. Tradition states that the oldest living graduate of the senior reunion class present will lay a wreath at the statue.
2. Westpoint Cadet Chapel
The Cadet Chapel at the United States Military Academy is a place of Protestant denomination worship for many members of the United States Corps of Cadets. The chapel is a late example of Gothic Revival architecture, with its cross-shaped floor plan, soaring arches, and ornate stone carvings. It houses the largest chapel pipe organ in the world, which consists of 23,511 individual pipes. The Cadet Chapel dominates the skyline and sets the architectural mood of the academy. Designed by architect Bertram Goodhue and completed in 1910, it replaced the neoclassical Old Cadet Chapel which had been built in 1836. The Old Cadet Chapel was deconstructed and relocated to the entrance of the West Point Cemetery, where it stands today.
3. MacArthur Monument
The Douglas MacArthur Monument at the United States Military Academy at West Point commemorates the Medal of Honor-winning former Superintendent and General of the Army Douglas MacArthur. Designed by Walker Hancock, it was dedicated by MacArthur's widow Jean MacArthur in 1969. Situated on the upper western corner of the Plain next to the north entrance to MacArthur Barracks, the monument consists of a statue of the general surrounded by angled granite walls that bear inscribed excerpts from his final public speech, the 1962 Duty, Honor, Country address he made to the Corps of Cadets upon receiving the Thayer Award.
4. Most Holy Trinity Chapel
The Chapel of the Most Holy Trinity at the United States Military Academy is a Catholic church and place of worship for many members of the United States Military Academy Corps of Cadets. Completed in 1900, it is the oldest chapel on the West Point campus in continual use, although the 1836 Old Cadet Chapel, moved in 1910 to West Point Cemetery, is still in use for funeral services and weekly Lutheran denominational services. Most Holy Trinity Chapel was expanded in 1959.
5. West Point Jewish Chapel
The Jewish Chapel at the United States Military Academy is a synagogue and chapel for the worship of Jewish cadets, faculty and members of the West Point community. Construction began in 1982 and was completed on November 13, 1984, it was the culmination of 20 years of effort on the part of the West Point Jewish Chapel Fund, a private nonprofit organization which raised more than US$7.5 million for its construction.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.