Explore interesting sights in Sullivan's Island, United States. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 5 sights are available in Sullivan's Island, United States.List of cities in United States Sightseeing Tours in Sullivan's Island
1. Edgar Allan Poe Library
Battery Gadsden is a historic artillery battery located at Sullivan's Island, Charleston County, South Carolina. It was built in 1903–1904, and is one of a series of batteries stretching from Fort Moultrie to the eastern end of Sullivan's Island. It was named after Christopher Gadsden. Until decommissioned in 1917, the concrete battery housed four, six inch guns. It measures approximately 377 feet long and 84 feet wide, with the front or ocean side of the battery at approximately 7 feet high. Battery Gadsden and its neighbor Battery Thomson provided fortification at the mouth of Charleston Harbor. The battery now houses the Edgar Allan Poe Branch of the Charleston County Public Library.
2. Battery Thomson
Battery Thomson is a historic artillery battery located at Sullivan's Island, Charleston County, South Carolina. It was built in 1906–1909, and is one of a series of batteries stretching from Fort Moultrie to the eastern end of Sullivan's Island. Until decommissioned in 1947, the concrete battery housed two, ten inch guns. It measures approximately 326 feet long and 84 feet wide, with the front or ocean side of the battery at approximately 10 feet high. Battery Thomson and its neighbor Battery Gadsden provided fortification at the mouth of Charleston Harbor.
3. United States Coast Guard Historic District
U. S. Coast Guard Historic District is a national historic district located at Sullivan's Island, Charleston County, South Carolina. The district encompasses three contributing buildings and one contributing structure on Sullivan's Island. The property was established as a life saving station in 1891. The district contains the station house/administration building, boathouse, garage, and signal tower, which are laid out in an "L"-shaped court loosely organized around the bunker/sighting station. Also on the property is the non-contributing Charleston Light.
4. Fort Moultrie
Fort Moultrie is a series of fortifications on Sullivan's Island, South Carolina, built to protect the city of Charleston, South Carolina. The first fort, formerly named Fort Sullivan, built of palmetto logs, inspired the flag and nickname of South Carolina, as "The Palmetto State". The fort was renamed for the U. S. patriot commander in the Battle of Sullivan's Island, General William Moultrie. During British occupation, in 1780–1782, the fort was known as Fort Arbuthnot.
5. Sullivan's Island Lighthouse
Charleston Light, also known as Sullivan's Island Lighthouse, is located on Sullivan's Island, South Carolina, which is the northern entrance to Charleston Harbor. The lighthouse was erected to replace the defunct Morris Island Light on Morris Island, which was at risk of being destroyed by erosion, but remains standing and was stabilized in 2010. Construction was started in 1960, and it was first lit on June 15, 1962.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.