Here you can find interesting sights in Springfield, United States. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 48 sights are available in Springfield, United States.List of cities in United States Sightseeing Tours in Springfield
1. Bell Miller Apartments
The Bell Miller Apartments are a historic apartment building located at 835 South Second Street in Springfield, Illinois. The six-flat apartments were built in 1909 by Bell Miller, a local florist branching out into real estate. Architect George H. Helmle designed the three-story Classical Revival building. The building's design features an entrance pavilion supported by Doric columns, verandahs on both sides, and an egg-and-dart frieze and dentillated cornice along the roof line. The interior also featured the style, as stairways with Classical balustrades led to each apartment. The apartments were part of a wave of new apartment buildings constructed in Springfield's Aristocracy Hill neighborhood in the 1910s and 1920s. The new apartments were advertised as "luxury apartments" and featured privacy and amenities designed to attract middle-class professionals, successfully countering the stigma that apartments were low-class housing. The Bell Miller Apartments stood apart even from these other buildings due to its commitment to Classical decoration both inside and out; while other buildings had formally styled exteriors, few featured as lavish of interiors. The building is currently owned by the Conn Hospitality Group, and operates as a bed and breakfast under the name of The Inn at 835.
2. The Town House
The Town House is a historic apartment building located at 718 S. 7th Street in Springfield, Illinois. The high-rise building is composed of an 11-story section and a 13-story section joined by a 14-story connector. Built in 1958, the International Style building was designed by Chicago architectural firm Shaw, Metz and Dolio. Springfield's Franklin Life Insurance Company underwrote the building; while it was originally intended to serve as employee housing, it quickly became a desirable residence for the general public as well. The building was the first high-rise luxury apartment complex in Springfield and was likely inspired by the earlier Hickox Apartments, a 1920s complex which set standards for luxury apartments in Springfield. It attempted to bring the more urban lifestyle of large Midwestern cities to comparatively smaller Springfield, and early residents boasted of their access to downtown and reduced housework. Shortly after its construction, however, the national trend of dispersed suburban homes made its way to Springfield; as a result, the Town House was the only luxury high-rise apartment ever built in the city.
3. Hickox Apartments
The Hickox Apartments is an historic apartment complex located at the corner of 4th and Cook Streets in Springfield, Illinois. The complex consists of five building units built from 1920 to 1929. The buildings represent three of the five major types of Springfield apartments: two- and three-flat row apartments, detached low-rise apartments with a courtyard, and larger suburban-style apartments with a courtyard. The complex, located near the Illinois Executive Mansion in the Aristocracy Hill neighborhood, was the first apartment complex targeted at upper-middle-class families. While Springfield's apartments had typically been seen as lower-class residences, developer Harris Hickox used lavish amenities, a desirable location, and his own social status to draw wealthier residents to his new complex. Hickox also created an air of exclusivity for his apartments by employing domestic staff and lobby guards and defying the local convention of advertising new apartments. The apartments remained a respected and desirable complex through the 1960s, outlasting most of the other luxury apartments which followed its lead.
4. Rippon-Kinsella House
The Rippon-Kinsella House is a historic house located at 1317 North Third Street in Springfield, Illinois. The house was most likely built in 1871 for businessman John Rippon, Jr. Its original design was a simple Italianate plan; the style can still be seen in its bracketed eaves and its long arched windows with round hoods. Rippon sold the house in 1891, and after passing through several other owners it was bought by Richard "Dick" Kinsella in 1899. Kinsella ran a local wallpaper and paint business, worked as a scout for the New York Giants baseball team, and was a prominent Sangamon County Democrat. In 1905, Kinsella remodeled his house to incorporate Classical elements; the house's porch with Doric columns and its high-pitched roof were added at this time. Classical Revival architecture was popular in both new and remodeled houses in Springfield at the time, and the more traditional Italianate houses were well-suited to renovations; the house is one of the best-preserved examples of these hybrid designs.
5. Paramount Theater
The Paramount Theater is an historic theater located at 1676-1708 Main Street in Springfield, Massachusetts. Built in 1926 out of part of the grand Massasoit House hotel at a cost of over $1 million, the Paramount Theater was the most ornate picture palace in Western Massachusetts. As of 2011, The Paramount is in the midst of a $1.725 million renovation to once again become a theater after decades as a disco and concert hall,, when it was the center of Springfield's club scene. In 2018 the building's owners, the New England Farm Workers Council, announced plans to redevelop it in tandem with a new adjacent hotel building. In a push to renovate the Paramount along with Holyoke's Victory Theater, in October 2018, the administration of Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker announced a $2.5 million grant to assist the project, on top of a $4 million federal loan guarantee. Pending finalizing funding for the combined restoration and new hotel, no construction timeline has been presented as of 2022.
6. Governor's Mansion
The Illinois Governor's Mansion is the official residence of the governor of Illinois. It is located in the state capital, Springfield, Illinois. The Italianate-style Mansion was designed by Chicago architect John M. Van Osdel with a modified 'H' shaped configuration with a long central section, and the front and back on the sides of the 'H'. The 16-room manor was completed in 1855 and was first occupied by governor Joel Matteson, who held the official grand opening on January 10, 1856. It is one of the oldest historic residences in the state of Illinois and one of the three oldest continuously occupied governor's mansions in the United States. In 1898 alterations to the exterior added neoclassical elements. In 1972, the Illinois Governor's Mansion Association was founded as a charitable corporation to assist in the maintenance and programming at the mansion. The Mansion was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
7. Taylor Apartments
The Taylor Apartments is a historic apartment building located at 117 South Grand Avenue West in Springfield, Illinois. The six-flat building was built by Dr. Percy L. Taylor in 1916. Taylor, the former City Physician of Springfield, rented the apartments as a source of retirement income. Springfield experienced a population boom in the 1900s and 1910s, and most of its new residents were young professionals who only lived there for a short time. As a result, many new apartments were built during this period, particularly in Springfield's Aristocracy Hill neighborhood where the Taylor Apartments were located. The rise in apartments for professionals led to the increased social acceptability of Springfield's apartments, which had previously been seen as lower-status housing. The six-flat apartment was one of the more common building types during the boom, and the Taylor Apartments are a representative example of the style.
8. Alvin S. Keys House
The Alvin S. Keys House is a historic house located at 1600 Illini Road in Leland Grove, Illinois. The house was built in 1929-30 for Republican politician and community leader Alvin S. Keys. At the time, Leland Grove was one of the most exclusive of Springfield's developing suburbs; the Keys House had an especially desirable location, as it was across the street from the Illini Country Club. Architect Murray S. Hanes designed the house in the Colonial Revival style, one of the most popular styles in America at the time. The front facade features a projecting entrance with a decorative fanlight and side lights; the rest of the facade is fairly plain, so as not to detract from the entrance. The interior incorporates Colonial woodwork and features into a modern floor plan, which included a powder room for guests, a recreation room, a screened porch, and an attached garage.
9. Dr. Charles Compton House
The Dr. Charles Compton House is a historic house located at 1303 South Wiggins Avenue in the Oak Knolls neighborhood of Springfield, Illinois. The house was built in 1926 for Dr. Charles Wentworth Compton, a local surgeon and the founder of local political group the Wentworth Republicans. Springfield architects Helmle and Helmle designed the Tudor Revival house, which was one of their many works in Oak Knolls. The house's front facade features a variety of materials and textures. The main entrance has its own roof and neighbors a stone tower with a parapet. The front of the house has a projecting gable on either side of the door; one gable is stucco with brick-edged windows, while the other matches the rest of the front facade, with brick on the first floor and stucco half-timbering on the second. The original slate roof of the house is broken by two brick chimneys.
10. John L. Lewis House
The John L. Lewis House is a historic house located at 1132 West Lawrence Avenue in Springfield, Illinois. The house was the home of American labor leader John L. Lewis from 1917 to 1965, encompassing the most productive and influential of his adult life. Born in 1880, Lewis became a coal miner at the age of 15 and quickly became active in union activities. Three years after he moved to his house in Springfield, Lewis became president of the United Mine Workers of America. Lewis became a prominent national labor leader in his new role, and he used his position to support union efforts in other industries as well. He founded the Congress of Industrial Organizations in 1935, becoming its first president, and helped lead strikes in the steel and automotive industries. Lewis retired from his presidency of the United Mine Workers in 1960 and died nine years later.
11. Gov. Richard Yates House
The Gov. Richard Yates House is a historic house located at 1190 Williams Boulevard in Springfield, Illinois. The house was built in 1904-05 for Illinois governor Richard Yates, Jr. Architects Helmle and Helmle designed the house, which has Romanesque Revival and Queen Anne influences. The house's first floor has rusticated stone walls, as do both stories of the turret on the west side; it is a rare example of rusticated stone in a residential Helmle & Helmle design. The front entrance opens to a great hall, which connects the interior rooms; this arrangement allowed Yates to host political gatherings in his home. A landing in front of the fireplace provided a raised space for Yates or his guests to give speeches. Yates left the governor's office the same year his house was completed; he later served in the U. S. House of Representatives from 1919 to 1933.
12. Jennings Ford Automobile Dealership
The Jennings Ford Automobile Dealership is a historic automobile dealership located at 431 South 4th Street in Springfield, Illinois. Ford dealer Frank Jennings built the dealership in 1919. The automobile became widespread in Springfield in the 1910s; Jennings Ford was one of several dealerships to open on South 4th Street, which was then the city's automobile row. The three-story building integrated every major function of an auto dealership at the time; it included a sales floor, a service center, a car wash, a storage garage, and a repainting facility. While Jennings Ford closed between 1927 and 1933, the building remained a car dealership through the 1950s. It is one of the few remaining dealership buildings in downtown Springfield and is the best-preserved of the survivors. Today, the building houses an operations center for Illinois National Bank.
13. Howard K. Weber House
The Howard K. Weber House is a historic house located at 925 South 7th Street in Springfield, Illinois. While the house was built in the 1840s, its current design comes from a series of additions and renovations which began in 1878. However artifacts discovered in the basement date around the 1820s. Howard K. Weber, a prominent local banker, started this renovation process shortly after buying the house. The house's new design was primarily Italianate, as the style was then nationally popular; its influence can be seen in the asymmetrical plan, the low hip roof with a bracketed cornice, and the arched windows. The house also exhibits a late Victorian influence in its more detailed elements, particularly the first-floor bay windows and the Gothic moldings on the second floor.
14. Camp Lincoln Commissary Building
The Camp Lincoln Commissary Building is a historic building on the grounds of Camp Lincoln, a National Guard camp in Springfield, Illinois. Built in 1903, the commissary is the oldest building remaining at Camp Lincoln. The camp, which opened in 1886, had previously used tents or temporary buildings for most of its activities, and the commissary soon became the camp's center of activity; it has served as a headquarters, barracks, hospital, and physical examination center at various points. The Culver Stone Company, which constructed several of Springfield's public buildings, built the commissary. The rusticated limestone building is designed to resemble a castle, as it features turrets and battlements along its roof. The building now houses a military museum.
15. Virgil Hickox House
The Virgil Hickox House is a historic house located at 518 East Capitol Avenue in Springfield, Illinois. The house, the only one remaining in downtown Springfield, was built in 1839 for Virgil Hickox and his family. Hickox was a prominent Springfield businessman who helped bring the city its first rail line, an extension of the Chicago and Alton Railroad. In addition, Hickox was a successful attorney and political figure; he chaired the Democratic State Committee for twenty years and was an associate of both Abraham Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas. The Hickox family remodeled their house several times; when they moved out in 1880, it had largely taken its present form, with an Italianate design featuring bracketed eaves and long arched windows.
16. John F. Bretz House and Warehouse
The John F. Bretz House and Warehouse are a pair of historic buildings located at 1113 North Fifth Street in Springfield, Illinois. The house was built circa 1886 for contractor John F. Bretz. Bretz was Springfield's supervisor of city streets for several periods in the 1870s and 1880s, and he also completed several city projects as a private contractor. He played an important role in the construction of Springfield's sewer system, and he began paving the city's streets in brick rather than wood. His house has a Queen Anne design featuring a wraparound front porch with a balustrade, decorative shingle siding, and metal crests along the roof. The two-story brick warehouse, located behind the house, was used by Bretz for his contracting work.
17. Cong. James M. Graham House
The Cong. James M. Graham House is a historic house located at 413 South 7th Street in Springfield, Illinois. The two-story Italianate house was the home of U. S. Representative James M. Graham from 1896 until his death in 1945. Graham, who served in the House from 1909 to 1915, played a part in several important Congressional investigations. He wrote the minority opinion in Congress's investigation of the Pinchot–Ballinger controversy, in which he condemned Secretary of the Interior Richard Ballinger for appropriating public lands for private use. Graham also participated in fraud investigations into the Bureau of Indian Affairs, one of which led to the resignation of then-Commissioner of Indian Affairs Robert G. Valentine.
18. Fisher Building-Latham Block
The Fisher Building-Latham Block is a historic commercial structure located at 111, 113, and 115 North Sixth Street in Springfield, Illinois. While built as two separate buildings, the Fisher Building and Latham Block are connected by internal entrances and are now considered components of a single building. Construction on both buildings began in 1856. The larger Latham Block has a typical mid-19th Century commercial design with classical influences, which can be seen in its symmetrical windows with cast iron hoods. While the Fisher Building originally had a similar design, it was renovated in the Classical Revival style in 1900. Its design includes a two-story bay window, a decorative cornice, and limestone trim.
19. Elijah Iles House
The Elijah Iles House is a historic house at 628 S. 7th Street in Springfield, Illinois. Built circa 1837, the house has survived nearly intact for 182 years and is the oldest such structure in Springfield. Iles, who moved to Springfield in 1821, was one of the city's earliest settlers. He ran the first store in Sangamon County and helped persuade the county to locate the county seat in Springfield. His house has a Greek Revival design inspired by Southern architecture. It is one of the few Greek Revival residences in Central Illinois. A timber-framed structure on a raised brick foundation, it has three levels: a ground-level basement, the main floor, and a finished attic which provided sleeping quarters.
20. Price/Wheeler House
The Price/Wheeler House is a historic house located at 618 South 7th Street in Springfield, Illinois. Built in 1899, the house was the first of the city's turn-of-the-century Classical Revival residences. The house features a two-story front portico with four Ionic columns and a frieze and dentillated cornice. At the time of its construction, the house's design was unprecedented in Springfield; by 1910, however, the Classical Revival style was well-represented in Springfield's residential architecture. The house was built for Isaiah Price, a businessman who died two years after its construction. Former Springfield mayor and eventual U. S. Representative Loren Wheeler purchased the house in 1904.
21. George M. Brinkerhoff House
The George M. Brinkerhoff House is a historic house located at 1500 North 5th Street in Springfield, Illinois. Businessman George M. Brinkerhoff commissioned the house in 1869; it was completed the following year. Architect Elijah E. Myers designed the Italian Villa style house. The 2+1⁄2-story brick house features a Gothic-inspired tower on its southwest corner; the tower was originally four stories tall but was shortened in 1960. The house's design includes angled porches, brick quoins on the corners, bracketed eaves, a dentillated cornice, and Myers' signature ornamental rope trim. After Brinkerhoff died in 1928, Springfield College bought the house to serve as its main building.
22. Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum
The Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum documents the life of the 16th U. S. president, Abraham Lincoln, and the course of the American Civil War. Combining traditional scholarship with 21st-century showmanship techniques, the museum ranks as one of the most visited presidential libraries. Its library, in addition to housing an extensive collection on Lincoln, also houses the collection of the Illinois State Historical Library, founded by the state in 1889. The library and museum is located in the state capital of Springfield, Illinois, and is overseen as an agency of state government. It is not affiliated with the U. S. National Archives and its system of libraries.
23. Christ Episcopal Church
Christ Episcopal Church is an Episcopal church located in Springfield, Illinois. The Richardsonian Romanesque church is built in rusticated stone and features stained glass windows and a rounded chancel; the Illinois State Register described it as "one of the most beautiful churches ever built in Springfield". The church was built in 1888 and partly sponsored by businessmen George H. Webster and Charles Ridgely, who stipulated in their donation that the church must always conduct a low church service; the church is now the only low church in the Episcopal Diocese of Springfield. A parish house was added to the church in 1914, and a Sunday school building was added in 1950.
24. Fred Gottschalk Grocery Store
The Fred Gottschalk Grocery Store is a historic grocery store building located at 301 West Edwards Street in Springfield, Illinois. Fred Gottschalk opened his first store at the site in 1887; he built the present building in 1898. The brick building has a Commercial style design with a cast iron storefront and a corbelled cornice. The store, one of several groceries in the area, served many of Springfield's prominent politicians and their families; it also allowed its customers to purchase goods by telephone. Gottschalk and his son Arthur ran the store until 1971; the building is now one of the few surviving neighborhood groceries in Springfield.
25. Heimberger House
The Heimberger House is a historic house located at 653-655 West Vine Street in Springfield, Illinois. The two-family house was built in 1915; it was designed to resemble a single-family house to blend in with the surrounding neighborhood. Harry Jasper Reiger designed the Arts and Crafts style bungalow. The house has a characteristic low-pitched Craftsman roof with exposed rafters, wide eaves, and clipped gables. Skylights in the roof let natural light into the interior rooms, an uncommon feature for a Craftsman bungalow. The front porch is covered by a large half-timbered gable and features ornamental tiling.
26. Hampden County Courthouse
Hampden County Courthouse is a historic courthouse on Elm Street in Springfield, Massachusetts designed by Henry Hobson Richardson. This was the county's second courthouse. The first courthouse was a small meetinghouse structure built in 1740, and the second and was constructed in 1822, but by the 1860s, popular pressure was developing for a new proper courthouse. A grand jury indicted the county commissioners in 1869 for official misconduct since the courthouse did not have fireproof storage for the registry of deeds and the safekeeping of public records. This forced the county to build a new courthouse.
27. Illinois State Capitol
The Illinois State Capitol, located in Springfield, Illinois, houses the legislative and executive branches of the government of the U. S. state of Illinois. The current building is the sixth to serve as the capitol building since Illinois was admitted to the United States in 1818. Built in the architectural styles of the French Renaissance and Italianate, it was designed by Cochrane and Garnsey, an architecture and design firm based in Chicago. Ground was broken for the new capitol on March 11, 1868, and the building was completed twenty years later for a total cost of $4. 5 million.
28. H. P. Boult House
The H. P. Boult House is a historic house located at 1123 South 2nd Street in Springfield, Illinois. The house, which was built in 1889, has a Queen Anne design with Eastlake ornamentation. The two-story wooden house has horizontal siding and X-shaped bracing. The front porch features a gable with a carved pediment, projecting carved panels, and a latticed base. A tower rises above the front porch; the other half of the front facade is dominated by a gable. The house's interior features a curved cherry staircase, decorative woodwork throughout, and a painted slate fireplace.
29. Clarkson W. Freeman House
The Clarkson W. Freeman House is a historic house located at 704 West Monroe Street in Springfield, Illinois. The house was built in 1878 for farmer and businessman Clarkson W. Freeman. The two-story house has an Italianate design with an "L"-shaped plan, an asymmetrical front porch, a bay window and bracketed cornice on the east side, and long, narrow windows with decorative heads. Ornate Carpenter Gothic trim decorates the top of the porch and gables, including the false gable above the porch; no other house in Springfield has trim with the same level of detail.
30. Illinois Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Illinois Vietnam Veterans Memorial honors the 2,970 Illinois residents who are listed as killed or listed as missing in action during the Vietnam War. Dedicated in 1988, the Memorial includes the names of the dead or missing carved in black granite walls that radiate from the central eternal flame. Supporting the flame are five vertical gray granite walls, each representing a branch of the armed services. A vigil and memorial service is held each year on the first full weekend in May and on Memorial Day, as well as the first Saturday in December.
31. Washington Park
Washington Park is a park in Springfield, Illinois, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Located at 1400 Williams Boulevard, the park features walking trails, a botanical garden, large duck pond, rose garden, carillon, and carillon concerts. The park was purchased for city use in 1900, and construction began in 1901. Substantial drainage and dredging were required to turn the wetland portions of the future park into ponds and grassy space. Washington Park is operated by the Springfield Park District.
32. Old State Capitol
The Old State Capitol State Historic Site, in Springfield, Illinois, is the fifth capitol building built for the U. S. state of Illinois. It was built in the Greek Revival style in 1837–1840, and served as the state house from 1840 to 1876. It is the site of candidacy announcements by Abraham Lincoln in 1858 and Barack Obama in 2007. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1961, primarily for its association with Lincoln and his political rival Stephen Douglas.
33. City Hall Annex
Springfield District Court, now the City Hall Annex, is a historic former courthouse at 1600 E. Columbus Avenue in Springfield, Massachusetts. Built in 1929-30, it is a prominent local example of civic Classical Revival architecture, designed by well-known local architects. After serving as a county courthouse until the 1970s, it was adapted by the city to house additional municipal offices. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
34. Lincoln Tomb
The Lincoln Tomb is the final resting place of Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States; his wife Mary Todd Lincoln; and three of their four sons: Edward, William, and Thomas. It is located in Oak Ridge Cemetery in Springfield, Illinois. It is constructed of granite and has a large, single-story rectangular base surmounted by an obelisk, with a semicircular receiving room entranceway on one end and a semicircular crypt or burial-room opposite.
35. Vachel Lindsay Home
The Vachel Lindsay House is a historic house museum at 603 South 5th Street in Springfield, Illinois. Built in 1848, it was the birthplace and lifelong home of poet Vachel Lindsay (1879–1931). It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1971. The Illinois Historic Preservation Agency operates the house as a historic house museum and offers tours of the home that emphasize Vachel Lindsay's poetry and art. It is open seasonally.
36. Dana Thomas House
The Dana–Thomas House is a home in Prairie School style designed by architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Built 1902–04 for patron Susan Lawrence Dana, it is located along East Lawrence Avenue in Springfield, Illinois. The home reflects the mutual affection of the patron and the architect for organic architecture, the relatively flat landscape of the U. S. state of Illinois, and the Japanese aesthetic as expressed in Japanese prints.
37. Springfield Safe Deposit and Trust Company
The Springfield Safe Deposit and Trust Company is a historic building at 127-131 State Street in Springfield, Massachusetts. Built in 1933, it is a prominent local example of Art Deco architecture, including many well-preserved interior features. Closed by the Trust Company successor Fleet Bank, it was donated to The Community Music School of Springfield. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.
38. Edwards Place Historic Home
Edwards Place is a historic house located at 700 North 4th Street in Springfield, Illinois. The house was begun in 1833 in the Greek Revival style, making it one of the oldest houses in Springfield. Additions in 1836 and 1843, and a major rebuild/expansion in 1857, created the Italianate house preserved today. The house's Italianate features include bracketed cornices and a cupola with a skylight.
39. Springfield Union Station
Springfield Union Station in Springfield, Illinois, is a former train station and now part of the complex of buildings that together form the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is located at 500 East Madison Street in downtown Springfield, adjacent to the Lincoln Presidential Library.
40. First Church of Christ, Congregational
First Church of Christ, Congregational, or Old First Church, is a historic church at 50 Elm Street in Springfield, Massachusetts. Built in 1819, the present structure is the fourth church building on the site, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. The church is within the Court Square Historic District.
The Maid-Rite Sandwich Shop in Springfield, Illinois, is one of the few remaining early Maid-Rite franchises in the United States. This specific shop, built in 1921, claims to have the first drive-thru window in the U. S. The building, along historic U. S. Route 66, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
42. Lincoln Herndon Law Office
The Lincoln-Herndon Law Offices State Historic Site is a historic brick building built in 1841 in the U. S. state of Illinois. It is located at 6th and Adams Streets in Springfield, Illinois. The law office has been restored and is operated by the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency as a state historic site.
43. Saint Michael's Cathedral
St. Michael's Cathedral is the mother church of the Diocese of Springfield in Massachusetts, United States, established in 1847. In 1974 the church and rectory were included as contributing properties in the Quadrangle–Mattoon Street Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
44. Lincoln Home National Historic Site
Lincoln Home National Historic Site preserves the Springfield, Illinois home and related historic district where Abraham Lincoln lived from 1844 to 1861, before becoming the 16th president of the United States. The presidential memorial includes the four blocks surrounding the home and a visitor center.
45. Bust of Abraham Lincoln
A colossal bust of Abraham Lincoln was made by Gutzon Borglum and completed in 1908. The original marble sculpture is installed in the United States Capitol crypt, in Washington, D. C. Copies cast in bronze are installed in several other locations, including the Lincoln Tomb in Springfield, Illinois.
46. Walker Building
The Walker Building is a historic commercial building at 1228-1244 Main Street in downtown Springfield, Massachusetts. Built in 1898, it is one of the best examples of Richardsonian Romanesque design in the city. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
47. Springfield Union Station
Springfield Union Station is a train and bus station in the Metro Center area of Springfield, Massachusetts. Constructed in 1926, Springfield Union Station is the fifth-busiest Amtrak station in the Commonwealth, and the busiest outside of Greater Boston.
48. Lincoln Depot
Lincoln Depot is located in Springfield, Illinois. It is so called because Abraham Lincoln's bittersweet 1861 Farewell Address to Springfield was delivered here as he boarded the train to Washington D. C. at the beginning of his presidency.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.