Here you can find interesting sights in Parkersburg, United States. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 5 sights are available in Parkersburg, United States.List of cities in United States Sightseeing Tours in Parkersburg
1. Avery Street Historic District
Avery Street Historic District, is a national historic district located at Parkersburg, Wood County, West Virginia. It is to the east of the Julia-Ann Square Historic District and south of the Parkersburg High School-Washington Avenue Historic District. Primarily residential, it encompasses 109 acres and includes churches, a school, and a small commercial area. Built as Parkersburg's first "suburb" in the late-19th and early-20th century in popular architectural style such as Colonial Revival and Queen Anne, the district exhibits 12 distinctive types of Historic architecture. There are 358 contributing buildings, 59 of which are considered to be pivotal. U. S. Senator Johnson N. Camden (1826-1908) owned most of the land now included in the district. Located in the district are the separately listed Parkersburg Women's Club and the First Presbyterian Church/Calvary Temple Evangelical Church.
2. Carnegie Library
The Parkersburg Carnegie Library is a historic library building located at Parkersburg, Wood County, West Virginia. It was designed and built in 1905, with funds provided by the philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. It is one of 3,000 such libraries constructed between 1885 and 1919. Carnegie provided $34,000 toward the construction of the Parkersburg library. It is a two-story, "L"-shaped brick structure in the Classical Revival style. The facade is detailed in gray stone and features a pediment with two Doric order columns. It ceased use as a library about 1975, and in December 1985, it was re-opened, as Trans Allegheny Books, which was the largest used book store in West Virginia until it closed in 2010.
3. Jackson Memorial Fountain
Jackson Memorial Fountain is a historic fountain located at the entrance to City Park at Parkersburg, Wood County, West Virginia. It was built in 1905 and is a cast iron structure that originally had three tiers. The second tier is topped by Parkersburg's Lady of the Lake statue. It features elaborately sculpted and decorated basins and pedestals. The fountain is dedicated to the locally prominent Jackson family, that included General John Jay Jackson and his sons Federal Judge John Jay Jackson, Jr., Governor Jacob B. Jackson, and Circuit Judge and Congressman James M. Jackson.
4. Sixth Street Railroad Bridge
The Parkersburg Bridge crosses the Ohio River between Parkersburg, West Virginia, and Belpre, Ohio. Designed by Jacob Linville, the bridge has 46 spans: 25 deck plate girder, 14 deck truss, 6 through truss, and 1 through plate girder. 50,000 cubic yards (38,000 m3) of stone were used for the 53 piers. The bridge was constructed from May 1869 to January 1871 by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. At the time of its completion, the bridge was reportedly the longest in the world at 7,140 feet (2,180 m).
5. Union Trust National Bank
The Union Trust National Bank, also known as the Union Trust and Deposit Company, is a historic bank building located at Parkersburg, Wood County, West Virginia. It was built in 1903–1904, and is a seven-story, five bay by seven bay, "U"-shaped, masonry building in the Classical style. The central bay features a projecting three-sided bay window. The building was ordered by Senator Johnson N. Camden (1828-1908).
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.