8 Sights in North Kesteven, United Kingdom (with Map and Images)
Explore interesting sights in North Kesteven, United Kingdom. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 8 sights are available in North Kesteven, United Kingdom.List of cities in United Kingdom Sightseeing Tours in North Kesteven
1. St Botolphs
St Botolph's Church is an Anglican place of worship in the village of Quarrington, part of the civil parish of Sleaford in Lincolnshire, England. The area has been settled since at least the Anglo-Saxon period, and a church existed at Quarrington by the time the Domesday Book was compiled in 1086, when it formed part of Ramsey Abbey's fee. It was granted to Haverholme Priory about 1165, and the Abbey claimed the right to present the rector in the 13th century. This right was claimed by the Bishop of Lincoln during the English Reformation in the early 16th century, and then passed to Robert Carre and his descendants after Carre acquired a manor at Quarrington. With capacity for 124 people, the church serves the ecclesiastic parish of Quarrington with Old Sleaford and, as of 2009, had an average congregation of 50.
2. Somerton Castle
Somerton Castle is located approximately 1 mile (1.6 km) west of the village of Boothby Graffoe in Lincolnshire, England and to the south of the city of Lincoln, England. The site is on low-lying land between the Lincoln Edge and the River Witham. Although Somerton Castle is in the parish of Boothby Graffoe, it is in the Manor of Waddington and this portion is often referred to as the Manor of Somerton Castle. Antony Bek probably built the castle in 1281 and he gave it to King Edward II in 1309. King John II of France was imprisoned at Somerton Castle between 1359 and 1360, having been taken prisoner after the Battle of Poitiers. It continued as crown property until it was sold by Charles I in 1628, since when the castle has continued in private ownership.
3. Saint Denys'
St Denys' Church is a medieval Anglican parish church in Sleaford, Lincolnshire, England. While a church and a priest have probably been present in the settlement since approximately 1086, the oldest parts of the present building are the tower and spire, which date to the late 12th and early 13th centuries; the stone broach spire is one of the earliest examples of its kind in England. The Decorated Gothic nave, aisles and north transept were built in the 14th century. The church was altered in the 19th century: the north aisle was rebuilt by the local builders Kirk and Parry in 1853 and the tower and spire were largely rebuilt in 1884 after being struck by lightning. St Denys' remains an active parish church.
4. Temple Bruer Preceptory
Temple Bruer Preceptory is a historic building in the civil parish of Temple Bruer with Temple High Grange, North Kesteven, Lincolnshire, England. It is one of the few Knights Templar sites left in England where any ruins remain standing. Its name comes from its Templar ownership and its position in the middle of the Lincoln Heath, bruyère (heather) from the French language current at the time. It was founded in the period 1150 to 1160 and the order was dissolved in 1312. The site is located between the A15 and A607 roads, 2.5 miles (4.0 km) north from Cranwell. The site has been excavated twice, firstly by the Rev Dr. G. Oliver, the rector of Scopwick in 1832–3, and in 1908 by Sir William St John Hope.
5. St Barbara's, Haceby (redundant)
St Barbara's Church is a redundant Anglican church in the village of Haceby, Lincolnshire, England. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building, and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. The church is situated some 8 miles (12.9 km) to the east of Grantham, about 1 mile (1.6 km) south of the A52 road. It has a double dedication to Saint Barbara and Saint Margaret.
6. The Hub
The Hub is an arts centre in Sleaford, Lincolnshire, which holds England's largest exhibition space for craft and design. It comprises a shop, cafebar, galleries, dance studio, and design workshops. The centre provides space for contemporary artists and makers, workshops, talks, classes, competitions and performance. It has creative links to local schools, and is a focus for the Design-Nation creatives network.
7. North Ings Farm Museum
The North Ings Farm Museum is a working farm museum containing a 2 ft narrow gauge railway, running on a circuit of 1⁄4 mile (0.40 km). It is located at Dorrington, between Lincoln and Sleaford, in Lincolnshire. The museum includes agricultural machinery and tractors, commercial vehicles, portable steam pumps and a fairground organ. The collection was opened to the public in 1990.
8. Doddington Hall
Doddington Hall is, from the outside, an Elizabethan prodigy house or mansion complete with walled courtyards and a gabled gatehouse. Inside it was largely updated in the 1760s. It is located in the village of Doddington, to the west of the city of Lincoln in Lincolnshire, England.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.