11 Sights in Malvern Hills District, United Kingdom (with Map and Images)
Explore interesting sights in Malvern Hills District, United Kingdom. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 11 sights are available in Malvern Hills District, United Kingdom.List of cities in United Kingdom Sightseeing Tours in Malvern Hills District
1. Malvern Theatres (Winter Gardens)
The Festival Theatre, now known as Malvern Theatres, is a theatre complex on Grange Road in Malvern, Worcestershire, England. Malvern Theatres, housed in the Winter Gardens complex in the town centre of Great Malvern, has been a provincial centre for the arts since 1885. The theatre became known for its George Bernard Shaw productions in the 1930s and from 1977 onwards, along with the works of Edward Elgar. Up until 1965, 19 different plays of Shaw were produced at the Malvern Festival Theatre, and six premiered here, including The Apple Cart at the opening Malvern Festival in 1929, Geneva, a Fancied Page of History in Three Acts in August 1938 and In Good King Charles's Golden Days in August 1939.
2. Saint Ann's Well
St. Ann's Well is set on the slopes of the Malvern Hills above Great Malvern. It is a popular site on a path leading up to the Worcestershire Beacon and lies on the final descent of the Worcestershire Way. The spring or well is named after Saint Anne, the maternal grandmother of Christ and the patron saint of many wells. A building that dates back to 1813 houses the well or spring. Malvern water flows freely from an elaborately carved water spout. The building also hosts a cafe. During the early 20th century, the now-defunct Burrows company bottled and sold Malvern Water from this source under the "St Ann's Well" brand.
3. Great Malvern Priory
Great Malvern Priory in Malvern, Worcestershire, England, was a Benedictine monastery and is now an Anglican parish church. In 1949 it was designated a Grade I listed building. It is a dominant building in the Great Malvern Conservation area. It has the largest display of 15th-century stained glass in England, as well as carved miserichords from the 15th and 16th century and the largest collection of medieval floor and wall tiles. In 1860 major restoration work was carried out by Sir George Gilbert Scott. It is also the venue for concerts and civic services.
4. Witley Court
Witley Court, Great Witley, Worcestershire, England is a ruined Italianate mansion. Built for the Foleys in the seventeenth century on the site of a former manor house, it was enormously expanded in the early nineteenth century by the architect John Nash for Thomas Foley, 3rd Baron Foley. The estate was later sold to the Earls of Dudley, who undertook a second massive reconstruction in the mid-19th century, employing the architect Samuel Daukes to create one of the great palaces of Victorian and Edwardian England.
5. Malvern Museum
The Malvern Museum in Great Malvern, the town centre of Malvern, Worcestershire, England, is located in the Priory Gatehouse, the former gateway to the Great Malvern Priory. The museum was established in 1979 and is owned and managed by the Malvern Museum Society Ltd, a registered charity. The Priory Gatehouse was a gift to the museum in 1980 from the de Vere Group, the owners of the neighbouring Abbey Hotel, and is staffed by volunteers. As such, the building itself is the museum's major exhibit.
6. Pendock Old Parish Church
Pendock Church is a redundant Anglican church standing to the southeast of the hamlet of Sledge Green in the parish of Pendock, Worcestershire, England. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building, and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. It stands in an isolated position overlooking and to the north of the M50 motorway. To its north are the earthworks of a former medieval village.
7. Elgar's Birthplace Museum
The Firs in Lower Broadheath, Worcestershire, England was the birthplace of Edward Elgar. The cottage now houses a museum administered by the National Trust. Edward Elgar was born at the house on 2 June 1857, and lived there for the first two years of his life. The museum comprises the Birthplace Cottage and its garden, and the modern Elgar Centre, opened in 2000, which houses further exhibitions and a function room.
8. Leigh Court Barn
Leigh Court Barn is a cruck framed barn at Leigh, Worcestershire, England, built in the early fourteenth century to store produce for Pershore Abbey. It is the largest and one of the oldest cruck barns in Britain, measuring over 43 metres (141 ft) long, 11 metres (36 ft) wide and 9 metres (29 ft) high, supported by nine pairs of massive oak beams. Radiocarbon dating places its construction about 1325.
9. St Leonard
St. Leonard's Church is a small, 12th-century church located in the scattered village of Cotheridge in Worcestershire. It stands not far from the manor house, Cotheridge Court. The church boasts an ancient, wooden tower. The main part of the church, the nave, has a plastered ceiling with its beams remaining hidden though some ceiling beams in the chancel are visible. The chancel floor is partially tiled.
10. End Hill
End Hill is the northernmost top of the Malvern Hills that runs approximately 13 kilometres (8 mi) north-south along the Herefordshire-Worcestershire border. It lies north of Table Hill and north-northwest of North Hill. It has an elevation of 329 metres (1,079 ft).
11. Hanley Castle
Hanley Castle was a Norman castle that stood to the south of the present-day site of the village of Hanley Castle, which lies 2 km north of Upton-upon-Severn, in the county of Worcestershire, England, United Kingdom..
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.