10 Sights in Borough of Swale, United Kingdom (with Map and Images)
Explore interesting sights in Borough of Swale, United Kingdom. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 10 sights are available in Borough of Swale, United Kingdom.List of cities in United Kingdom Sightseeing Tours in Borough of Swale
1. Queenborough Castle
Queenborough Castle, also known as Sheppey Castle, is a 14th-century castle, the remnants of which are in the town of Queenborough on the Isle of Sheppey, Kent in England. The castle and the associated planned town were built on the orders of King Edward III from 1361 and named in honour his wife, Queen Philippa. It was the first concentric castle to be built in England, and the only royal castle to be new-built in England during the Late Middle Ages. Overlooking the Swale, then an important waterway approaching the River Medway, Queenborough Castle formed part of the country's coastal defences until 1650 when it was declared to be unfit for use and was almost completely demolished shortly afterwards. The site is now a public park and the only visible remains are some low earthworks.
2. Garrison Point Fort
Garrison Point Fort is a former artillery fort situated at the end of the Garrison Point peninsula at Sheerness on the Isle of Sheppey in Kent. Built in the 1860s in response to concerns about a possible French invasion, it was the last in a series of artillery batteries that had existed on the site since the mid-16th century. The fort's position enabled it to guard the strategic point where the River Medway meets the Thames. It is a rare example of a two-tiered casemated fort – one of only two of that era in the country – with a design that is otherwise similar to that of several of the other forts along the lower Thames. It remained operational until 1956 and is now used by the Sheerness Docks as a port installation.
3. Shoeburyness Boom
The Shoeburyness Boom refers to two successive defensive barriers across most of the Thames Estuary in the mid-20th century. As to the part perpendicular to the north shore most of the latter incarnation remains, and its nearest concrete mooring/patrol point 600 metres south. A 2 km stretch, this is designated a scheduled monument and marks the western edge of MoD Shoeburyness firing range, a restricted area. The rest was taken up in the 1960s.
4. Faversham Stone Chapel
Faversham Stone Chapel also known as Our Lady of Elwarton, is a medieval chapel built on top of a Romano-British mausoleum. The chapel is located in what is thought to have been the Roman settlement of Durolevum, near the modern town of Faversham, in Kent, England. It is the only chapel in England known to incorporate the remains of an ancient shrine or mausoleum.
5. St Bartholomew's Church
St Bartholomew's Church is a redundant Anglican church in the village of Goodnestone, Kent, England. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building, and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. The village is some 1.5 miles (2.4 km) east of Faversham, to the west of the A299 road.
6. Luddenham Church
St Mary's Church is a redundant Anglican church in the village of Luddenham, Kent, England. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building, and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. The church stands in a farmyard some 2 miles (3.2 km) northwest of Faversham.
7. Belmont House and Gardens
Belmont is a Georgian house and gardens in Throwley, near Faversham in east Kent. Built between 1769 and 1793, it has been described as "a marvellous example of Georgian architecture that has remained completely unspoilt". The house is famous for the most extensive private collection of clocks in England.
8. Maison Dieu
Maison Dieu is a hospital, monastery, hostel, retirement home and royal lodge commissioned by Henry III in 1234. The timber framed building is located beside Watling Street, now the A2 road, in Ospringe, Faversham, in Kent, England.
9. St. Mary of Charity
St Mary of Charity, Faversham Parish Church is the Church of England parish church of the town of Faversham in Kent, England. The church spire dominates the town's skyline and is visible from some distance.
10. Milton Creek Country Park
Milton Creek Country Park is situated in 128 acres between Milton Regis and Kemsley, on the west bank of Milton Creek in Sittingbourne, Kent, England. This site was once called Church Marshes Country Park.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.