12 Sights in Soest, Germany (with Map and Images)
Explore interesting sights in Soest, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 12 sights are available in Soest, Germany.List of cities in Germany Sightseeing Tours in Soest
1. Alt-Sankt Thomä
"Leaning Tower" is the colloquial name for the church of St. Thomae in Soest, founded in the 12th century in the course of the construction of the new archiepiscopal palatinate. The official name Alt St. Thomae of this church is explained to distinguish it from the nearby former monastery church Neu St. Thomae. The leaning spire of Alt St. Thomae occupies a special and eccentric place in the silhouette of the Soest church towers. With the extension of the Romanesque building to the early Gothic hall church in the 13th century, Alt St. Thomae is one of the oldest Gothic church buildings in Germany. Alt St. Thomae is the only church in the immediate vicinity of the city wall in Soest and is also the only one among the Soest churches still has a church garden.
2. Sankt Maria zur Wiese
The Evangelical Wiesenkirche or Church of St. Maria zur Wiese in Soest is considered a perfectly formed Westphalian hall church. Characterized by an almost square floor plan, its interior offers the viewer from some points the impression of a pure window front, supported by graceful bundle pillars. The high window strips almost reach the floor in the choir. During the day, the church appears light and flooded with light. Three almost equally high, very flat curved naves give the room its evenness. The history of construction extends over centuries. In place of the Romanesque predecessor building, the foundation stone for today's church was laid in 1313. The twin towers that dominate the exterior were not built until the second half of the 19th century.
3. St. Patrokli-Dom
St. Patrokli is a Roman Catholic parish and church in Soest, Germany. The church is of great significance in the history of architecture as it is the epitome of Romanesque architecture in Westphalia. As a result, it is known as St.-Patrokli-Dom. It holds relics of its patron saint Patroclus of Troyes from 954. It was the church of the canonical foundation of St. Patroclus, which existed from the 10th century until its abolition in 1812. Since 1823 the church has been the parish church of the St. Patrokli parish in the diocese of Paderborn. In 1859 it was promoted to the rank of provost church.
4. Galeriegrab von Hiddingsen
The gallery grave of Hiddingsen was discovered in 1934 during quarry work near Hiddingsen. In the approximately 16.8 × 2.8 × 2.0 m (L×W×H) large gallery grave, 98 human skeletons were recovered. The tomb is dated to about 3000 BC. The plant is associated with the funnel beaker culture (TBK). The megalithic complex, which was badly damaged at the southwest corner, is missing five stones on the southeast side. Otherwise, 17 stones have been preserved, of which two, including the northeastern end stone, are particularly large.
5. Orgel von St. Andreas
The Gothic-Baroque organ of St. Andreas in Ostönnen is a technical, artistic and cultural-historical monument of the first rank and, along with the instruments in Sion, Kiedrich, Rysum and Bologna, is one of the oldest playable organs in the world. It is probably the oldest of these and today has eight stops with 576 pipes, of which more than half (326) date from before 1500. The Baroque exterior is by Johann Patroclus Möller, who moved and rebuilt the organ in Ostönnen from 1721 to 1722.
6. Französische Kapelle
The French Chapel in Soest in Westphalia is a 7.5 m long and 6 m wide sacral room decorated in 1940 by French prisoners of war in Block I of the Colonel-BEM-Adam-Kaserne in Soest. Today, the chapel belongs to the Catholic Holy Cross parish in Soest, but has de facto become a place of ecumenical encounter. In addition to this Catholic prayer room, there was originally also a Protestant counterpart, which no longer exists since October 1944.
7. Sankt Pauli
St. Pauli is a Gothic hall church in Soest, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. The three-bay hall church with the mighty tower on a square floor plan characterizes the cityscape in the southwestern part of the city. It belongs to the Evangelical St.-Petri-Pauli-Gemeinde, which with about 8100 parishioners is the largest Protestant parish in Soest and belongs to the church district Soest-Arnsberg of the Evangelical Church of Westphalia.
Due to its special design, the Nikolaikapelle in Soest in the immediate vicinity of the Patroklidom has an excellent place among the chapel buildings of Westphalia in terms of art and architectural history. It was built around 1200 in the immunity area of the St. Patrokli Abbey, but according to recent research, probably not by Soest merchants, as was often assumed due to the Nikolaus patronage and the design.
The Burghof is an old patrician house in Soest with a castle history museum and a historic ballroom. Immediately adjacent is the so-called Romanesque House from 1180, an almost original preserved residential tower-like building, the oldest still existing residential building between the Rhine and Weser.
The Kattenturm in Soest is a defensive tower built in 1230. It is the only preserved defensive tower of the former inner city wall and is located south of the old town on the Jakobi Ulricher-Wall, not far west of the Ulricher Tor.
11. Sankt Petri Kirche
St. Petri is the oldest parish church in Soest and one of the oldest church foundations in Westphalia. Already at the end of the 8th century, a church was built on this site in connection with Charlemagne's Saxon mission.
12. Sankt Andreas
The Evangelical village church of St. Andreas is a listed church building in Ostönnen. Its Gothic organ is one of the oldest playable organs in the world, along with the instruments in Sion, Kiedrich and Rysum.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.