5 Sights in Mettlach, Germany (with Map and Images)
Explore interesting sights in Mettlach, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 5 sights are available in Mettlach, Germany.List of cities in Germany Sightseeing Tours in Mettlach
1. Alter Turm
The Old Tower in Mettlach is the oldest preserved sacred building and at the same time the oldest preserved upright medieval building in the Saarland. It is the last surviving remnant of the Mettlach Abbey Church of St. Peter and Mary, which was demolished in 1819. The "Old Tower" is therefore one of the landmarks of the Saarland of national importance. The building was built around the years 990 to 994 by the then Irish abbot Lioffin (985–993) as the Ottonian burial chapel of St. Lutwinus, who had founded the monastery of St. Peter and Mary in Mettlach around the year 675. The "Old Tower" is one of the most important achievements of German art in terms of art history. It is one of the few preserved Ottonian central buildings as well as an architectural achievement of the European Middle Ages of high rank.
The current Lutwinus Chapel in the Mettlach district of Weite is a neo-Romanesque sacred building built in 1892 on a rock high above the Saar. It marks the place where, according to legendary tradition, Saint Liutwin/Lutwinus decided to found Mettlach Abbey in the 7th century. Structural remains of the previous buildings have been preserved at the site. On the cliff to the Saar rises a memorial cross. The chapel is a listed building.
3. St. Lutwinus
The Church of St. Lutwinus is a Roman Catholic parish and pilgrimage church in Mettlach, Merzig-Wadern district, Saarland. The church bears the patronage of St. Liutwin and is his burial church. The neo-Romanesque sacred building is listed in the Saarland list of monuments as a single monument. The church is the destination of the Lutwinus pilgrimage, which took place for centuries and has been revived since the early 2000s.
4. Kapelle Sankt Joseph
The Chapel of St. Joseph in Mettlach is a neo-Gothic sacred building of early historicism in the Saar region. The chapel, originally built in Wallerfangen in 1864, was demolished in 1878/1879 and relocated to Mettlach, where it was rebuilt in 1882 with minor changes. Since spring 2013 it has been accessible again after ten years of renovation.
The beer area is a tree in Kammerforst, Melziger. It is one of the oldest trees in Saarland, estimated to be over 300 years old, with a trunk diameter of at least 1.20 meters. It was destroyed in 2005.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.