16 Sights in Krummhörn, Germany (with Map and Images)
Explore interesting sights in Krummhörn, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 16 sights are available in Krummhörn, Germany.List of cities in GermanySightseeing Tours in Krummhörn
1. Altes Steinhaus
The Steinhaus is the oldest surviving secular building in Greetsiel, a district of the municipality of Krummhörn in the district of Aurich in Lower Saxony. The building, which has been reconstructed in accordance with the preservation order, represents the type of three-zone stone house from the transitional period late Gothic-Renaissance from the end of the 16th century. Parts, however, are from the early period of Greetsiel - 1370. It is a listed building and is considered one of two stone houses built in Greetsiel towards the end of the 14th century by the Cirksena chieftain family. Since 2021, it has been used by the Rural Academy Krummhörn-Hinte e. V. as an office and event house.
2. Pilsumer Leuchtturm
The Pilsum Lighthouse was built in 1891 as a sector light for the Emshörn channel on Germany's North Sea coast. It is located on a dyke near the village of Pilsum in the municipality of Krummhörn. It guided ships through the narrow channel until 1915. During the First World War, its light was extinguished so that enemy ships could not navigate the route. After that, it was no longer needed, because the channel was changed. The height of the structure is 11 metres; the height of the light about sea level is 15 metres. Today, the tower is one of the best-known symbols of East Frisia.
3. Rysumer Kirche
The Evangelical Reformed Church of Rysum stands on the highest point of the round warp of the East Frisian village of Rysum in the Krummhörn. Today's church dates back to the 12th century and probably had several predecessors. The furnishings of the church are of national art-historical importance. Worth mentioning here is the oldest organ in Northern Europe that can still be played and preserved in its basic state, dating back to 1457.
Rentmeisterhaus is located in Uttum, a district of Krummhörn in the East Friesland community. Built in 1597, this single-storey building is a stone house-style detached house in East Frisland. Apart from the diocese of Greetsiel, it is the only building in Krummhörn built for administrators. East Friesland Landscape bought the building in 1979 and subsequently restored it. Rentmeisterhaus has been privately owned since 1996.
5. Uttumer Kirche
The Protestant Reformed Church of Uttum was built on a mound in the middle of the 13th century in the East Frisian town of Uttum as a hall church in the transitional Romano-Gothic style. The late Gothic west tower from 1527 received its present appearance after a partial collapse in 1931. Of European importance is the almost completely preserved Renaissance organ from around 1660.
6. Manninga Burg
The Manningaburg in Pewsum, surrounded by a wide graft, was originally a chieftain's seat of the East Frisian Manninga family, who were also lords of Lütetsburg, Jennelt and Westeel. In 1565 Hoyko Manninga sold the lowland castle and the Pewsum mill to Count Edzard II of East Frisia and his wife Catherine of Sweden. Of the original castle complex, only the outer bailey remains.
7. Eilsumer Kirche
The Evangelical Reformed Church of Eilsum is located in the East Frisian town of Eilsum in the Krummhörn. It is considered the only real choir tower church in the northern German coastal area and, with a length of about 40 meters, is one of the largest sacred buildings in the Krummhörn. The Romano-Gothic building dates back to the middle third of the 13th century.
8. Hohes Haus
The High House is a "magnificent two-storey brick building with plaster façade in ashlar imitation" in Greetsiel. On its west side, the building has original cellar windows and a so-called Upkammer, a room in the living wing, which is arranged higher than the other rooms because of a semi-above-ground cellar underneath. The building is a listed building.
The Pewsum Mill Museum is located in a Dutch windmill and in the adjacent Gulf House in Pewsum, East Frisia. In the museum, old utensils, such as carriages, are exhibited. Furthermore, the museum deals with the craftsmanship of past centuries and East Frisian country life. The Gulf House has been redesigned for cultural activities and creative purposes.
10. Rysumer Mühle
The Rysumer Mühle is a three-storey, brick-built, octagonal gallery Dutchman in the round warp village of Rysum in the Krummhörn. The mill was built in 1895. Today it is a museum mill that can be visited. The technical equipment of the mill has been repaired by an interest group and is functional.
11. Groothuser Kirche
The Evangelical Reformed Church of Groothus is located in the East Frisian town of Groothusen, in the Krummhörn. The basic substance of today's building dates back to 1425, the tower is older and is dated to 1225. In the early Middle Ages, it was one of the six provost churches of the old Emsgau.
12. Campener Lighthouse
Campen Lighthouse is an active lighthouse in the village of Campen, by the Ems estuary, northwest of Emden, in the East Frisia region, state of Lower Saxony, Germany. At a height of 213 feet (65 m) it is the fourteenth tallest "traditional lighthouse" in the world and the tallest in Germany.
13. Kirche Visquard
The Evangelical Reformed Church of Visquard is located in the East Frisian town of Visquard, in the Krummhörn. A special feature of the church is the Count's East Frisian and Swedish coat of arms built in stone, which stands for the fraternization of the two houses.
14. St.-Maria-Kirche Hamswehrum
The Protestant Reformed Church of St. Mary is located in the East Frisian town of Hamswehrum, in the Krummhörn. The hall was built in 1968. Only the small bell tower has been preserved from the previous church from the end of the 15th century.
15. Pilsumer Kreuzkirche
The Evangelical Reformed Church of the Holy Cross in Pilsum is located in the East Frisian village of Pilsum, in the Krummhörn. Today's church was built in three phases, dates back to the 13th century and was dedicated to St. Stephen.
The Evangelical Lutheran Nicolai Church is located in the East Frisian town of Pewsum, in the Krummhörn. The church is, along with Loquard and Woquard, one of three Lutheran churches in the Krummhörn.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.