9 Sights in Höxter, Germany (with Map and Images)
Explore interesting sights in Höxter, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 9 sights are available in Höxter, Germany.List of cities in GermanySightseeing Tours in Höxter
The Princely Abbey of Corvey is a former Benedictine abbey and ecclesiastical principality now in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It was one of the half-dozen self-ruling princely abbeys of the Holy Roman Empire from the late Middle Ages until 1792 when Corvey was elevated to a prince-bishopric. Corvey, whose territory extended over a vast area, was in turn secularized in 1803 in the course of the German mediatisation and absorbed into the newly created Principality of Nassau-Orange-Fulda. Originally built in 822 and 885 and remodeled in the Baroque period, the abbey is an exceptional example of Carolingian architecture, the oldest surviving example of a westwork, and the oldest standing medieval structure in Westphalia. The original architecture of the abbey, with its vaulted hall and galleries encircling the main room, heavily influenced later western Romanesque and Gothic architecture. The inside of the westwork contains the only known wall paintings of ancient mythology with Christian interpretation in Carolingian times. The former abbey church was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2014.
Wikipedia: Princely Abbey of Corvey (EN), Website, Heritage Website
2. Station 29 des preußischen optischen Telegrafen
The Prussian Semaphore System was a telegraphic communications system used between Berlin and the Rhine Province from 1832 to 1849. It could transmit administrative and military messages by optical signal over a distance of nearly 550 kilometres (340 mi). The telegraph line comprised 62 stations each furnished with a signal mast with six cable-operated arms. The stations were equipped with telescopes that operators used to copy coded messages and forward them to the next station. Three dispatch departments located in Berlin, Cologne and Koblenz handled the coding and decoding of official telegrams. Although electric telegraphy made the system obsolete for military use, simplified semaphores were still used for railway signals.
3. Koptisch-Othodoxes Kloster der heiligen Jungfrau Maria und des heiligen Mauritius
Brenkhausen Abbey is a former Cistercian monastery in Brenkhausen near Höxter, Höxter district, in Westphalia and is now used as a men's monastery and seat of the Bishop General of the Coptic Orthodox Church in Germany, Bishop Anba Damian. The Coptic Orthodox Church maintains a Bible museum and a cross exhibition in the monastery. The monastery was extensively renovated by deacons of the Coptic Church and volunteers, mainly on their own. The completed exhibition rooms are open to the public during the day.
St. Mary's Church, also known as the Minorite Church and the Brethren Church, is a former monastery church of the Minorite Order and today a Protestant church in the East Westphalian town of Höxter. The church, which is a listed building, was consecrated in 1283 and, together with the associated former Minorite monastery, today forms a location of the "monastery region in the cultural land of the district of Höxter".
The Kiliani Church is the Protestant parish church of the city of Höxter. She is a member of the Evangelical Church of Westphalia. The church, which is a listed building, which, like the Gothic St. Mary's Church, belongs to the Protestant parish of Höxter, bears the plaque of the "Open Churches" initiative of the Evangelical Church of Westphalia.
6. Bismarckturm Höxter
Höxter is a town in eastern North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany on the left bank of the river Weser, 52 km north of Kassel in the centre of the Weser Uplands. The main town's population is around 15,000, and with outlying centres, about 30,000. It is the seat of the Höxter district. Historical place names of Höxter are Hoxer and Huxaria.
7. Abteikirche St. Stephanus und Vitus
The Roman Catholic parish church of St. Stephen and St. Vitus is a listed church building and part of Corvey Castle in Höxter in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. The church houses relics of St. Vitus and St. Stephen. The Baroque furnishings are among the most important in the Archdiocese of Paderborn.
The Tonenburg is a fortress near the East Westphalian village of Albaxen in the district of Höxter in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. The hilltop castle stands above the Weser and within sight of the Benedictine abbey of Corvey on the federal highway 64 and on the Weser cycle path.
The Amelunxensche Hof, known as Dechanei, is an old building in the East Westphalian town of Höxter in North Rhine-Westphalia. Since the 14th century, the farm had been owned by the noble family of Amelunxen.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.