17 Sights in Emden, Germany (with Map and Images)
Explore interesting sights in Emden, Germany. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 17 sights are available in Emden, Germany.List of cities in Germany Sightseeing Tours in Emden
The Bunkermuseum Emden was opened in 1995 in a high-rise bunker in the city centre of Emden. It is considered to be the first museum in an air-raid shelter in the Federal Republic of Germany to deal with the history of the buildings. In 26 rooms, each with a different thematic focus, it shows the history of the bunkers, the persecution and oppression by the National Socialists in the city of Emden from 1933 to 1945 as well as the post-war period until the early 1950s. The museum is open from May to October. It is sponsored by the Arbeitskreis Bunkermuseum, founded in March 1994. The museum is financed by grants, donations and voluntary activities of the members of the association. The bunker museum hardly receives any money from the municipality or other public sources.
2. Schweizer Kirche
The Evangelical Reformed Great Church in Emden is one of the most important sites in East Frisian history. It is the Moederkerk of the Reformed Communities in Northern Germany and the Netherlands. After the destruction in World War II, no services were kept in the church. The Swiss church was built for the parish on part of the foundations. The Great Church is now home to Johannes A Lasco Library, which is considered one of the most important theological special libraries in Germany.
3. Leuchtturm Wybelsum
The lighthouse Wybelsum stands on the road Am neuen Seedeich in the Wybelsumer Polder, a polder west of Emden on the north bank of the Unterems. In addition to serving as a lighthouse, it also serves as a radar tower for the Ems traffic control center, which is responsible for monitoring Ems shipping. The lighthouse Wybelsum was built in the same period as the lighthouse Knock and is remotely controlled by the traffic center Ems.
The Pelzerhäuser are two buildings on Pelzerstraße in the old town of Emden. The two houses are among the oldest buildings in the city and are the only ones in the old town that survived the heavy bombing of Emden on 6 September 1944. Its architectural style today gives an impression of the appearance of Emden's old town before the bombing – it was characterized by buildings from the 16th and 17th centuries.
The Emden water tower is located in Abdenastraße near today's main station. The building from the years 1910 to 1912 is owned by Stadtwerke Emden and is still in operation. With its height of 42 metres, it towers above most of the city's buildings and is an important example of a technical building from the beginning of the 20th century in Emden. Since 1999, the water tower has been a listed building.
6. Vrouw Johanna
The windmill De Vrouw Johanna is a gallery Dutchman in Emden in East Frisia. The mill was built in 1804 on the Emder Wall, the early modern city fortification of Emden. The Johanna-Mühle is a successor to a windmill that already existed there. The mill is a listed building and is owned by the city of Emden, which has leased the building to the Emder Mühlenverein.
7. Kesselschleuse Emden
The boiler lock in Emden (East Frisia) is a unique structure in Europe. The round chamber lock connects four waterways for shipping, which converge here: the Ems-Jade Canal, the Emden city moat, the Fehntjer Tief and the Rote Siel, an offshoot of the Falderndelftes and thus the Emden harbour. These four waterways usually have different water levels.
8. Knock Lighthouse
The lighthouse Knock stands in the far west of Emden on the Knock, which represents a change of course for the entire shipping of the Unterems. The tower, which looks unusual as a lighthouse, has several functions: it serves as a beacon, as a radar and directional radio tower and as a traffic center Ems for monitoring shipping on the Ems.
9. Gedenkstein Synagoge Emden
The Jewish community in Emden existed for a period of about 400 years from its beginnings in the 16th century until its end on 23 October 1941. It was the oldest, largest and most important community in East Frisia and, as the seat of the State Rabbinate, the spiritual centre of the Jews of East Frisia and the Landdrostei Osnabrück.
10. Neue Kirche
The new church in Emden (East Frisia) is an evangelical reformed sermon church. It was built in the years 1643–1648 as the first retrospective church building in northern Germany in moderate baroque style. During the Second World War it was destroyed to the outer walls and then rebuilt in a modified form.
The Eyüp Sultan Mosque in Emden is the first Islamic house of worship in East Frisia. The sponsoring association of the mosque Turkish Islamic Community of Emden e. V. currently has 70 members and belongs to the Turkish-Islamic Union (DITIB). It is named after Abu Ayyub al-Ansari.
12. AE7 - Stadt Emden
The Museumslogger Stadt Emden is a wooden German sailing logger. It shall bear the fishing number AE 7. Together with the lightship Amrumbank and the rescue cruiser Georg Breusing, the museum ship is moored in the Emden Ratsdelft. It was moored there in the spring of 1995.
13. Emder Wappen
The Emden coat of arms was awarded to the city in 1495 after long requests and payment of high fees by King Maximilian I. The figure in the coat of arms and also the entire coat of arms itself bears the name "Engelke up de Muer" and is kept in the city colors.
14. Georg Breusing
The Georg Breusing was a distress cruiser from the German Society for the Rescue of Shipwrecker (DGZRS) of the 26-meter class, which was built in 1963 by the Abeking & Rasmussen shipyard in Lemwerder under Baunummer 5870. The DGZRS-internal name was Krs 6.
After the destruction of a church from 1775 in World War II, the Martin Luther Church is the second Lutheran church in Emden, a city in which only the Reformed religion was allowed to be taught after the Emden Revolution from 1595 to 1685.
Jan Łaski or Johannes à Lasco was a Polish Calvinist reformer. Owing to his influential work in England (1548–1553) during the English Reformation, he is known to the English-speaking world by the Anglicised form John à Lasco.
17. Feuerschiff Amrumbank
The lightship Amrumbank was built in 1914/1915 by the shipyard Jos. L. Meyer in Papenburg/Ems on behalf of the Prussian Ministry of Public Works. It became Amrumbank II in 1919 successor to the later destroyed lightship Amrumbank.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.