Explore interesting sights in Famagusta, Cyprus. Click on a marker on the map to view details about it. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 5 sights are available in Famagusta, Cyprus.
1. Lala Mustafa Pasha Mosque - St. Nicholas's Cathedral
The Lala Mustafa Pasha Mosque, originally known as the Cathedral of Saint Nicholas and later as the Saint Sophia (Ayasofya) Mosque of Mağusa, is the largest medieval building in Famagusta, Cyprus. Built between 1298 and c. 1400, it was consecrated as a Catholic cathedral in 1328. The cathedral was converted into a mosque after the Ottoman Empire captured Famagusta in 1571 and it remains a mosque to this day. From 1954 the building has taken its name from Lala Mustafa Pasha, the Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire from Sokolovići in Bosnia, who served Murat III and led Ottoman forces against the Venetians in Cyprus.
2. Church of St. George the Exiler
The Nestorian Church, officially known as the Church of St. George the Exiler is a church in the old town of Famagusta, Cyprus. Originally built as a church belonging to the Church of the East, an ancient Nestorian branch of Eastern Christianity, it was converted to a Greek Orthodox Church in the British era after centuries of use as a stable for camels in the Ottoman era. It is one of the legendary "365 churches of Famagusta".
3. Ancient Theater
Salamis was an ancient Greek city-state on the east coast of Cyprus, at the mouth of the river Pedieos, 6 km north of modern Famagusta. According to tradition, the founder of Salamis was Teucer, son of Telamon, king of the Greek island of Salamis, who could not return home after the Trojan war because he had failed to avenge his brother Ajax.
4. Othello's Tower
Othello Castle, also known as Othello's Tower, is a castle in Famagusta, Cyprus. It was built by the Lusignans in the 14th century, and was later modified by the Venetians. The modern name of the castle comes from a stage note in Shakespeare's play Othello.
5. Church of St. George of the Latins
St. George the Latin is a former parish church of the Crusaders in Famagusta, Cyprus. The church bears the epithet of the Latins, because the Latin rite was celebrated on it and to distinguish it from the Orthodox Church of St. George of the Greeks.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.