Here you can find interesting sights in Wien, Austria. Click on a marker on the map to view details about the sight. Underneath is an overview of the sights with images. A total of 48 sights are available in Wien, Austria.Back to the list of cities in Austria
1. Ludwig van Beethoven
Ludwig van Beethoven was a German composer and pianist. Beethoven remains one of the most admired composers in the history of Western music; his works rank amongst the most performed of the classical music repertoire and span the transition from the Classical period to the Romantic era in classical music. His career has conventionally been divided into early, middle, and late periods. His early period, during which he forged his craft, is typically considered to have lasted until 1802. From 1802 to around 1812, his middle period showed an individual development from the styles of Joseph Haydn and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, and is sometimes characterized as heroic. During this time, he began to grow increasingly deaf. In his late period, from 1812 to 1827, he extended his innovations in musical form and expression.
2. Ignaz Semmelweis
Ignaz Philipp Semmelweis was a Hungarian physician and scientist, now known as an early pioneer of antiseptic procedures. Described as the "saviour of mothers", Semmelweis discovered that the incidence of puerperal fever could be drastically cut by the use of hand disinfection in obstetrical clinics. Puerperal fever was common in mid-19th-century hospitals and often fatal. Semmelweis proposed the practice of washing hands with chlorinated lime solutions in 1847 while working in Vienna General Hospital's First Obstetrical Clinic, where doctors' wards had three times the mortality of midwives' wards. He published a book of his findings in Etiology, Concept and Prophylaxis of Childbed Fever.
3. Kuffner Sternwarte
The Kuffner observatory is one of two telescope-equipped public astronomical observatories situated in Austria's capital, Vienna. It is situated in the West of the city's Ottakring district, on the slope of the Gallitzinberg at 302 m altitude. Originally a private research institution, it was converted into an educational astronomy facility after World War II as buildings and city lights had encroached to a degree that severely hampered scientific nightsky observations. Today the main tasks of the observatory consist in public education on astronomy, operating and preserving the historical equipment, and minor projects in scientific astronomy.
The settlement of the former Lainz Tiergarten was built in the 1920s and 1930s. Built in the 18th century on the fringes of Lainz Tiergarten, then part of Lower Austria, it was part of the Vienna Forest and was not open to the public until 1918. Like Tilgarten, the territory of these settlements was incorporated into Grosen Vienna during the period of National Socialism in 1938. Settlements in the south have been established since the 13th century. It was not until 1956 that Tiergarten and Eisenbahnerfarm were assigned to the Hietzing district of Vienna. All settlements belong to the Auhof cadastral community, like most of Tiergarten.
5. Tiergarten Schönbrunn
Tiergarten Schönbrunn – Schönbrunn Zoo – was established by the Habsburgs in the park of Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna’s 13th district of Hietzing in 1752 and is today the world’s oldest zoo that is still in operation. Zoologist Stephan Hering-Hagenbeck has been the zoo’s director since 2020. Schönbrunn Zoo has been recording more than two million visitors every year since 2006. It presents around 8,000 animals from 700 species on an area of 17 hectares. Anthony Sheridan’s zoo rankings recognised Schönbrunn Zoo as the best zoo in Europe five times in a row.
6. Oscar Straus
Oscar Nathan Straus was a Viennese composer of operettas, film scores, and songs. He also wrote about 500 cabaret songs, chamber music, and orchestral and choral works. His original name was actually Strauss, but for professional purposes he deliberately omitted the final 's'. He wished not to be associated with the musical Strauss family of Vienna. However, he did follow the advice of Johann Strauss II in 1898 about abandoning the prospective lure of writing waltzes for the more lucrative business of writing for the theatre.
7. Pfarrkirche Liesing
The parish church liesing is a Roman Catholic round church in the 23rd district of Vienna Liesing and is located at Färbermühlgasse 6. It is the largest church in the city deanery 23. Built from 1953 to 1955 according to plans by Robert Kramreiter, the building is dedicated to Mary, Mother of Divine Grace and the patron saint of the old church, Saint Servatius. The ringing of the parish church consists of four bells, which are located in the 38 meter high tower, which is located away from the church.
8. Gedenktafel Synagoge Floridsdorf
Florizdorf Synagogue is a synagogue. Florizdorf District, Vienna. Built between 1875 and 1877, it is a three-nave structure with a women's gallery that can accommodate 390 seats. Since Florizdorf was not incorporated into Vienna until 1904, "K. U. K. " . Korneuburg District Corps ". Although the Temple of Florizdorf was originally managed by the Minyang Society, the Jewish community of Florizdorf began to manage it from 1880. The Jewish community of Vienna took over these agendas from 1907.
9. Brand des Ringtheaters
The Ringtheater fire occurred on 8 December 1881, in the popular Viennese Ringtheater, named after the road it was located at, the Schottenring. Before the fire, the privately run theater, with a capacity of about 1700 visitors, suffered from financial problems. Officially, 384 people perished in the fire, though there are higher estimates. For example, the Prussian-born author and encyclopedian Ludwig Julius Eisenberg (1858–1910) claims that up to one thousand could have been killed.
10. Alfred Ochshorn
Alfred Gottfried Ochshorn was a Jewish Austrian communist student activist and fighter during the Spanish Civil War. At the end of the Spanish Republic he went to France where he worked as a translator for German troops while also active in forging papers to aid the French Resistance. After being betrayed by an informant, he was arrested in 1943 by the Gestapo and sent to the Mauthausen concentration camp. He died after being shot by a guard, Martin Bartesch, during an escape attempt.
11. Madame Tussaud Vienna
Madame Tussauds Vienna is a wax museum and tourist attraction located at the famous amusement park Wiener Prater in Vienna, Austria. It was founded by Marie Tussaud and is the eleventh location for the Tussauds franchise. It officially opened on April 1st 2011 by the former Austrian president Heinz Fischer. So far, it features more than 80 figures on three floors. Madame Tussauds is now owned and operated by the United Kingdom-based entertainment company Merlin Entertainments.
12. Miller-von-Aichholz Schlössel
The Miller-Aichholz Castle, now also called Europahaus Vienna, at Linzer Straße 429 was originally a baroque building in the Vienna suburb of Hütteldorf. The place was incorporated in the new 13th district of Vienna in 1892 and has been part of the 14th district of Vienna, Penzing since 1938. The historical property with its extensive park is owned by the Republic of Austria. Today the castle can be booked for weddings, solemn events and seminars.
The Ganserlberg is a hill in the 18th Vienna district of Währing. It forms the continuation of the height from Schafberg over the Mitterberg and the belt to the Brünnlfeld and is part of the Wienerwald Mountains. At the same time, the elevator formed the right, southern banks of the Währinger Bach and the left, northern banks of the Alserbach. The hill today occupies the area between the Anton Baumann Park and the Johann-Nepomuk-Vogl-Platz.
The Donauinsel is a long, narrow artificial island in central Vienna, Austria, lying between the Danube river and the parallel excavated channel Neue Donau. The island is 21.1 km (13.1 mi) in length, but is only 70–210 m (230–689 ft) wide. The New Danube waterway is practically an elongated (swimming) lake, technically a diluvian bed. It has been described as an "autobahn for swimmers", due to its use by people commuting to work.
15. Maria Schmerzen im Kaasgraben
The Kaasgrabenkirche, also known as the Wallfahrtskirche “Mariä Schmerzen”, is a Roman Catholic parish and pilgrimage church in the suburb of Grinzing in the 19th district of Vienna, Döbling. The church has been managed since 1903 by the order of the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales and is equally the seat of the branch of the order covering Austria and Southern Germany. It has had the status of a parish church since 1939.
The Tegetthoff monument in Vienna was designed by Carl Kundmann (statue) and Carl von Hasenauer (architecture) and commemorates Wilhelm von Tegetthoff, Vice Admiral and Commander of the Austrian and Austro-Hungarian Navy in the 1860s. Unveiled on 21 September 1886, it stands on the Praterstern at the end of Praterstraße in Vienna's 2nd district, Leopoldstadt, at one of the most important transport hubs in the city of Vienna.
The Wiener Riesenrad, or simply Riesenrad, is a 64.75-metre (212 ft) tall Ferris wheel at the entrance of the Prater amusement park in Leopoldstadt, the 2nd district of Austria's capital Vienna. It is one of Vienna's most popular tourist attractions, and symbolises the district as well as the city for many people. Constructed in 1897, it was the world's tallest extant Ferris wheel from 1920 until 1985.
18. Republik Kugelmugel
The Republic of Kugelmugel is a micronation located at the Prater in Vienna, Austria. The Republic declared independence in 1975, after disputes between artist Edwin Lipburger and Austrian authorities over building permits for a ball-shaped house which he erected at the Landesstraße 4091 in Katzelsdorf, Lower Austria in 1971. In 1979, Lipburger was arrested and sent to jail for ten weeks.
19. Schloss Neugebäude
Neugebäude Palace is a large Mannerist castle complex in the Simmering district of Vienna, Austria. It was built from 1569 onwards, at the behest of the Habsburg emperor Maximilian II. The site of the palace is said to be where the Ottoman Sultan Süleyman the Magnificent's tent was erected during the 1529 Siege of Vienna. The palace was apparently modeled after it.
Dehnepark is a natural park in the 14th century. Penzing District, Vienna, covers an area of about 50,000 square meters. The park is part of the Vienna forest and is considered unique for its ancient trees and habitat. It is located in the Rosental Valley, on the eastern slope of the local mountain of Hütteldorf, Satzberg, opposite the hillside of Steinhofgründe.
21. Graf Lacy Grab
Franz Moritz Graf von Lacy was a Baltic German-born Austrian military leader, he was the son of Count Peter von Lacy and was a famous Austrian field marshal. He served during the reign of Maria Theresa and was a close friend to Joseph II, Holy Roman Emperor, becoming one of the latter's advisers. Lacy was made a Count of the Holy Roman Empire.
The ghost lock is the name of two electrically operated, inpatient ghost railways in the Vienna sausage printer. The first model was opened in 1933, stood until 1945 and was completely destroyed by war. Although the original "ghost lock" no longer exists, the new ride is often marketed under the same name as a "oldest ghost train in Austria".
23. Pfarrkirche Gartenstadt
The parish church of Gartenstadt is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Gartenstadt district in the district of Neujedlersdorf of the 21st Vienna municipal district of Floridsdorf. The parish is located in the city dean of the Vicariate Vienna City, which belongs to the Archdiocese of Vienna. It is consecrated to the blood of Christ.
24. Mega Blitz
Megablitz is a steel roller coaster of the model Custom MK-700 of the manufacturer Vekoma. It was opened in 1994 in area no. 145 of vienna's Wurstelprater in Vienna's 2nd district Leopoldstadt. It replaced Cortina Bob, a Jet Star steel roller coaster. The company Neufeld Vergnügungsbetriebe GmbH is the owner of the railway.
The Geymüllerschlössel is a small palace situated in Pötzleinsdorf, a neighborhood in Vienna's suburban outskirts. It is a branch of the Museum of Applied Arts and Contemporary Art, displaying a diverse collection of furniture and decorative art from the Biedermeier period as well as Franz Sobek's clock collection.
26. Hundsturmer Linienkapelle
Hundsturmer Chapel is a Roman Catholic chapel built in the 5th century A. D. Margaret district of Vienna, located in Schönbrunner Straße and St. -The corner of Johann-Gasse, on the edge of Bruno Kreisky Park, belongs to St. Joseph Zu Marguerite Parish Church. It is one of the few existing linear chapels in Vienna.
The (garden) Palais Harrach was located in the Ungargasse, today's serial numbers 67a−69, in the Viennese suburb Landstraße, since 1850 part of the 3rd district, on the area where today the school center Ungargasse (SZU) exists. The very large property extended to Juchgasse, Boerhaavegasse and Barmherzigengasse.
The parish church of Herz Jesus is a Roman Catholic parish church in the district of Floridsdorf of the 21st Vienna municipal district of Floridsdorf. The parish is located in the city dean of the Vicariate Vienna City, which belongs to the Archdiocese of Vienna. It is consecrated to the sacred heart of Jesus.
The Little Holy Trinity Church in Vienna, formerly known as White Hispanic, is now known as Alserkirche, but also known as Trinitarierkirche, a Roman Catholic parish church in the 8th century Alservorstadt district. Joseph Stadt District, Vienna. The Minorite Monastery in Vienna is connected to the church.
30. Portois & Fix
The house of the Portois & Fix company, which worked in the furniture production and the interior, was built in 1899–1901 on their behalf by Max Fabiani in the 3rd Vienna municipal district, Landstrasse, at Hungargasse 59–61. It is its first building in Vienna and is considered one of his main works.
Zeiss Planetarium in Vienna is considered as one of the most modern planetariums in the world. It is located in Platt, Vienna, and shares a building with Platt Museum. The Planetarium, together with the Kufner and Urania observatories, is a specialized agency of the Vienna Centre for Adult Education.
32. St. Jakobus und St. Josef
The Catholic parish church of Floridsdorf is located on Pius-Parsch-Platz in the 21st district of Floridsdorf in the city of Vienna. The Roman Catholic parish church St. Josef belongs to the city deanate 21 in the Vicariate Vienna City of the Archdiocese of Vienna. The building is a listed building.
33. St. Johann Nepomuk
Johannes Nepomuk Parish Church is a parish church of the Roman Catholic Church. Vienna District, Leopoldstadt, in Praterstraße. The diocese is located in 2/20 Diocese of Wienstadt Diocese, Archdiocese of Vienna. It is dedicated to St. John Nibomuk. This building is a protected monument.
The Brigitta chapel is a former Roman Catholic chapel built in the baroque style in the 20th Vienna district of Brigittenau and is listed. It is used by the Georgian Orthodox community for trade fairs, and it functions as a church as St. King David of the Renewer.
36. Herz Jesu
The Herz-Jesu Church is located in Einsiedlergasse in the 5th district of Margareten in Vienna. The Roman Catholic Rector Church belongs to the city deanate 4/5 in the Vicariate Vienna City of the Archdiocese of Vienna. The church is under monument protection.
Neptunbrunnen Fountain, located in Schönbrunn Palace Park, was built between 1778 and 1780 as part of the renovation of the complex by Queen Maria Tracia. The fountain is about 100 meters long, 50 meters wide and 7 meters high. There are no numbers.
38. Salvator am Wienerfeld
39. St. Johannes Nepomuk
40. Kirche der Heiligen Jungfrau von Zeitoun
The Coptic Notre Dame Church in Zeitoun is the church of bishops in the Coptic diocese of Austria and the German-speaking region of Switzerland. It is located in the district of Hirschstetten. Quadenstra e 4-6, Donaustadt district, Vienna.
41. Währinger Wasserturm
The Währinger water tower is a building in the style of pre -marginal purpose architecture in the 18th Vienna district of Währing. The water tower is located in the Anton-Baumann-Park on the Vienna Gürtel on the so-called Ganslberg.
42. Evangelische Kirche Floridsdorf
The Evangelical Parish Church floridsdorf is located in the 21st district of Vienna Floridsdorf in the city of Vienna. The parish church of the Evangelical Church A. B. in Austria belongs to the Evangelical Superintendent of Vienna.
43. Böhmischer Prater
The Bohemian Prater is a small amusement park at the edge of Vienna. It dates to the second half of the 19th century, and some of the rides are more than 100 years old. The name is derived from the larger Wiener (Viennese) Prater.
44. Graf Sascha Kolowrat-Krakowsky - Denkmal
Count Alexander "Sascha" Joseph von Kolowrat-Krakowsky was an Austrian film producer of Bohemian-Czech descent from the House of Kolowrat. A pioneer of Austrian cinema, he founded the first major film studio Sascha-Film in Vienna.
The obelisk fountain in schönbrunn Palace Park in Vienna's 13th district of Hietzing is one of numerous fountains in this baroque green area. The main dimensions are: length 35.6 m, width 24.0 m and height 31.3 m.
Gradner Chapel, formerly known as Gradinger Chapel, is a small church built in the 10th century. The Favoriten district of Vienna. It is located in Ludwig-von-Höhnel-Gasse 2, in front of the town of Laaerbergbad.
The Herderpark is a park in the 11th Vienna district of Simmering and extends from Herderplatz to the streets of Zehetbauergasse and on the canal. With an area of 42,600 m², it is the largest park in Simmerings.
48. Sigmund Freud
Sigmund Freud was an Austrian neurologist and the founder of psychoanalysis, a clinical method for evaluating and treating pathologies in the psyche through dialogue between a patient and a psychoanalyst.
Disclaimer Please be aware of your surroundings and do not enter private property. We are not liable for any damages that occur during the tours.